Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Killing Big Mulies

i asked this question on another forum regarding elk and it spawned the question "what do you consider a big bull" so lets say for the sake of argument that a Big Muley is 24" wide or bigger. how do you all "find and kill" big mulies consistently. i think there are probably more guys that kill big mulies every year than kill big bulls every year.
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I cant speak for every one else but I take a different approach, I look at a unit/area with plenty of option as far as drawing with low points and buying land owner tags for a decent price inbetween draw years. Then instead of looking for the animals I befriend all the locals who know anything about the wildlife in the area, then try and market my self with all the local land owners. Once this is complete I keep up with the land owners on a regular basis, figure out what they have seen while out and about and use them as a scouting tool. Then before the season begins I do my own scoutin and it usually works out pretty darn well.
    "Bulls, Bucks, Honkers and Ducks"
    Live, Eat, Sleep, Think Hunting.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AvidHunterAbe View Post
    I cant speak for every one else but I take a different approach, I look at a unit/area with plenty of option as far as drawing with low points and buying land owner tags for a decent price inbetween draw years. Then instead of looking for the animals I befriend all the locals who know anything about the wildlife in the area, then try and market my self with all the local land owners. Once this is complete I keep up with the land owners on a regular basis, figure out what they have seen while out and about and use them as a scouting tool. Then before the season begins I do my own scoutin and it usually works out pretty darn well.
    I also look for the land owners. I try to go the extra mile and talk to them and reasure them that I am willing to help them with anything they need while I'm there, and that low impact on their property is of the highest importance, show them a ton of respect. Also when I go back to the area to continue my scoutting I always check in with them and see if they need anything. I always try to get their phone number and call before I leave town heading their way and ask if they need anything from town to save them a trip in, most of were I'm hunting is way out so they really appreciate the offer. Then once they know your a good guy the info on were the big deer are will start to come out in your conversations. My two hunting partners and I did this a few years ago and we now stay with the rancher at his home while we are hunting. We have taken his sons out hunting with us to help get there tags filled. We continue to pull 180"+ deer each year from this area. He gives us lots of info each year on the areas he sees big bucks since he rides the range all summer keepinretrace of his cows.
    Last edited by Ikeepitcold; 12-01-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I consider a big Muley 180" or bigger. Although if the question is what do I think a trophy Muley is then I would answer that it is what the hunter would consider a trophy. A trophy can be any size to each individual. For me a typical 180" Muley, 160" Whitetail, 360" elk, 80" Pronghorn. But that's me

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I go to the steepest, most remote, nastiest, god-forbidden deer country I can find.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I go to the steepest, most remote, nastiest, god-forbidden deer country I can find.
    Haha I bet you do! Seems that's were I end up too. I took David Longs advice that most people do that exact thing and pass up some great country close to the trail head and that big bucks know the places that people will walk rite by because they want to get WAY back and don't give these areas a look. I took a 160 buck in ID a couple years back using this strategy.

Normally I want to be by myself and hike as far back as I can because I've had the most luck taking big bucks in the nasty.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Without being a smartypants here...I seem to find a lot of good animals by being absolutely obsessed with scouting them out year round... To the point my wife thinks I'm a touch off Wether I take a good buck or not is another story altogether! The short answer is HARD WORK ETHIC.
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I consider a big Muley 180" or bigger. Although if the question is what do I think a trophy Muley is then I would answer that it is what the hunter would consider a trophy. A trophy can be any size to each individual. For me a typical 180" Muley, 160" Whitetail, 360" elk, 80" Pronghorn. But that's me
    the reason i used 24" wide is because i have seen some bucks about that wide that had lots of mass, lots of height, lots of points, very deep forks and pushin or exceeding 300 lbs and would score at least 170 to 180 and even more. while elk hunting in CO this year i ran into a guy (Billy Pellegrino and hope i spelled his name right) that showed me a picture of a 195 and some change buck still in velvet that he had killed this year and couldn't have been over 24" wide.
    Last edited by trophyhill; 12-02-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    That's also what I do. Go to the biggest mountain in my area and hunt the top.

I am with keepitcold, this thread also starts another good topic.

What does everybody consider a trophy mule deer?

My dad for example really doesn't care about anything but width. I on the other hand look at alot of aspects, width height deep forks and MASS! I guess the higher he would score is what I look at, a 24" buck...... I don't know..... He better not be the average 24" buck. That is my opinion. It's real hard to score well being only two feet wide but like you mentioned, possible. Also any nontypical with a drop or freak eye guards might also qualify!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Living here in SW Colorado for the past 11 years I have noticed a distinct pattern in the bucks here. We seem to have a couple of gene pools in the bucks here. There is one type of antler growth that is pretty narrow, but tall. I've seen bucks that were between 20 & 24" that were at least that tall with lots of mass that I'm sure would score in the 170-180 range. The other type is the normal buck that is real wide with the normal muley style antlers. I have definately noticed that where these narrow horned bucks show up during the rut, the younger bucks there tend to show this configuration.

The only reason I mention this is because if the opportunity to take one of these narrow racked bucks that had lots of mass and points was there...he would be mine! Over the years I've taken over 50 muley bucks, most being the typical variety, with a few odd ones too. I have a forkie on my great room wall that is 28" w by 24" tall with great eye guards and mass that is just outstanding. I really like to look for the nontypicals.

Bottom line is don't pass up something that doesn't fit the normal horn configuration. If you see one that you like...bust him!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley