Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Somewhat germane to the topic, I got a copy of Wyoming Outdoors in the mail recently. This is essentially the "guides" association catalog they send out, but in it is contained the Big Game banquet and Awards entries. I think we all have hornflation from reading magazines and watching TV shows - these are the best of the best the outfitters could put on the ground in 2010 and here's the numbers:

Mule deer typical rifle: 1) 196 2) 187 6/8 3) 185 6/8
    Mule deer NT rifle: 1) 207 7/8 2) 196 2/8 3) 190 4/8

Mule deer typical archery: 1) 190 2/8 2) 174 1/8 3) 164 2/8
    Mule deer NT archery: 1) 180 6/8 (no other entries)

I find this very instructive from a premier state like Wyoming. I'm sure bigger deer than this are killed and not entered, but these are the best of the best from the pros who are out there every day and every season. It looks like it falls off pretty quick, I bet you'd be hard pressed to get 20 deer from around the state over 180 if you saw all the entries for every category.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    I also received the same catalog. Very interesting and some good read as well

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    @sethkuhl - Thats a fine looking rifle, what manufacturer and model is that?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ruger Model 77 Mark II Chambered in a 7 Mag. Leupold VX-3 4.5-10X scope. Love that gun!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I also received the same catalog. Very interesting and some good read as well
    I received that also. What also is interesting if you flip through it there are bigger deer advertised killed this year that are not on that awards list. I am thinking guides have to pay to enter contest or something.

That magazine is awesome to flip through! It never gets old looking at big animals. 😜

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Finding the big animals is key and I've hunted many low requested units in New Mexico that have many trophy animals. Some of the units I hunt have left over tags every year. I think its definately possible to kill big animals in the same state, year after year as long as you can find where the big boys are hiding in low requested units.

Thanks
    Congratulations

scouting

The key to killing big bucks consistantly is to scout. The last 2 years I have shot 3 nice bucks. Two in Montana, and one in Idaho. The buck last year gross scored 191 BC NT. Eight scoreable points on one side and six on the other.Interestingly enough, he was only 23" wide, but very heavy. The buck I shot in Idaho this year is 171 BC, again quite heavy. All 3 bucks were taken during general season, on public land. All three bucks were found during the summer, and shot opening day. The last 2 years I have spent 15 days scouting, and 3 days hunting. I hunt high, all three bucks were shot between 8500, and 9000 ft. You also have to pass up mediocre bucks. The deer I killed in Idaho this year, I passed up last year. Found him in the exact same bed this summer,as he was in last summer. Only difference is that he added 10" of horn and twice the mass. The only problem about hunting high is you can get snowed out. I had found a nice mid 170's buck two years in a row in Idaho. The snow pushed him out of the country both seasons. I had him pegged in mid Sept. both years, and never did get him.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think the key to big bucks is scouting. I hunt Montana, and Idaho every year. I have shot three nice bucks the last 2 years. One buck grossed 191 BC NT (last year) and my Idaho buck this year was 171 bc. All the deer were general season tags on public ground. I had found all three bucks prior to shooting them on opening day. I spent 15 days scouting the last 2 years, and 3 days hunting. The scouting time is essential..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dhershberger View Post
    Finding the big animals is key and I've hunted many low requested units in New Mexico that have many trophy animals. Some of the units I hunt have left over tags every year. I think its definately possible to kill big animals in the same state, year after year as long as you can find where the big boys are hiding in low requested units.
    finding them hasn't been an issue for me but........killing them has been
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    I received that also. What also is interesting if you flip through it there are bigger deer advertised killed this year that are not on that awards list. I am thinking guides have to pay to enter contest or something.

That magazine is awesome to flip through! It never gets old looking at big animals. ��
    In my opinion, this is a prime example of how pictures can be manipulated to make something look much bigger. I can almost guarantee, if someone in that advertisement killed an awards buck they would make darn sure it is noted.