Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bull or a cow moose?!?

I am a resident here in Wyoming and knowing how long it takes to draw a bull tag, I was wondering if it would be worth it to just put in for a cow tag. I have 4 pts and am 32 yrs old. It may take till I am 70 before I draw a bull tag. I would love a bull but would also have a blast hunting a cow as well. I am a meat hunter so it really wouldnt bother me to hunt a cow. What are some of your thoughts and input on this. It is just getting too difficult to draw a bull tag in this state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    if you dont care about antlers then go for a cow tag and have a good hunt. and help the rest of us out with one less person in the bull draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you are strictly a meat hunter, I don't understand why you would hold out for a bull tag. Without pulling up drawing odds, I think you could realistically pull a cow tag every four years. So I would take the a cow tag and run.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I would go for the cow also if your a meat hunter. For the same reason as the others.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am a wyo resident floorya so I wouldn't mess up your draw odds. Stig, it would be at least a 7 year wait minimum(more like 9 now) with the five year wait after a person draws a tag. I hunt for meat but it would be very fun to hunt a bull moose. I just think I might be too old when I am able to draw to chase them around. it's a tough decision. I have at least 2 to3 more years to draw a cow in the area I want so I will look at draw odds when I feel I have a chance at a cow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
    I am a wyo resident floorya so I wouldn't mess up your draw odds. Stig, it would be at least a 7 year wait minimum(more like 9 now) with the five year wait after a person draws a tag. I hunt for meat but it would be very fun to hunt a bull moose. I just think I might be too old when I am able to draw to chase them around. it's a tough decision. I have at least 2 to3 more years to draw a cow in the area I want so I will look at draw odds when I feel I have a chance at a cow.
    i hear ya.but i wasn't trying to be a jerk ,just funny.but that never works out for me.
    i had a chance to hunt moose 2 years ago in newfoundland. its a blast just to be around them.good luck with the draw bull or cow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I didnt take ya as being a jerk. Its a tough decision, the wolves have impacted the moose so bad in wyo that the hunt areas are pretty slim to nothing. I live in NE wyo and people are spotting wolves more and more here. So its just a matter of time til they are all over. Hopefully we can shoot them in a few months.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree, if you are just after the meat, I would just put in for a cow. You have better odds getting a cow while you are out hunting and you will draw sooner than if you kept putting in for a bull. Just my thoughts I love the meat but I definitely want me a big ol' rack on the wall..and I'm only 23 so I figure I will keep putting in for a bull!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    I agree, if you are just after the meat, I would just put in for a cow. You have better odds getting a cow while you are out hunting and you will draw sooner than if you kept putting in for a bull. Just my thoughts I love the meat but I definitely want me a big ol' rack on the wall..and I'm only 23 so I figure I will keep putting in for a bull!
    I agree if u just want meat, that is the way to go, but i'm with jen, i'm only 23 as well and have been putting in since I was 12 and still haven't drawn

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Forgot about the 5 year wait after drawing a tag.