Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruttin Mulies

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trophyhill View Post
    i live in Tijeras also dhershberger. no doubt we have probably seen each other on the road some where. i drive a black f150 with a bunch of elk, deer and bow huntin decals on my windows. i hunt in south east NM for open country mulies. i'll give you a hint on where i hunt. you can see Sierra Blanca and El Capitan from where i hunt and on a clear day the Sacramentos around Cloudcroft off in the distance. i love hunting these monster Desert Mulies during the rut. its funny because when i used to rifle hunt i never saw many big bucks but now that i have been hunting them with a bow in January, i see big bucks on a daily basis.
    Oh, okay I think I know the general area where you hunt. In fact I'm pretty sure I know the exact unit. Its cool you live in Tijeras like me. I live not to far from the Zuzax I-40 exit. I usually hunt deer with a rifle. To be honest I think one of the most underrequested deer hunts that is excellent is the Gila rifle deer hunts. They give you all of the 16 units and some of them barely have any deer while others have some great bucks. Theses hunt are from early to mid november which is the beginning of the deer rut and is perfect for trophy hunting. This year I busted a stalk on a huge 170+ deer, one of the biggest I've seen in NM! I sure wish he was on my wall! I love the southeastern units and took a great bull this year in the Gila which is my profile pic. I hope you have a great bow hunt and if you get anything, post some pictures!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxhunter View Post
    Trophyhill - I mainly treestand the rut. I found a spot back in 2007 that has a bunch of canyons that come together and thought it would be a good place for a stand. Well I guessed right and there is a lot of does and buck that come through the area all day long so theres lots of action somedays and others it's very slow. I've noticed from about the middle of the month until the end of November is best from my experience. I did the spot and stalk thing but sometimes it's tough getting an opportunity do to the brush. Ruttin, method will definitely work also but I've had my best luck sitting in tree. My shots are from 13-18yds typically. It takes patience to sit for 7-8hrs in the cold but IMO it's worth the results I've has so far. I'd bet money a ground would be deadly in the right spot if there weren't any trees available. What's the terrain like where you'll be hunting open or semi-forested?

the terrain is open country foothills with the cover being cactus, mesquite and in some cases sage with lots of canyons, draws and ridges. i still cant figure out why people around here call this area "down in the flats". nothing big enough to support a stand. i have kicked around the idea of a ground blind at a water tank. i know where a few natural funnels are but picking the right spot to put a ground blind is a tough call. i have set up and used what cover was available only to be out witted by these mulies. for example their is a ridge with 2 saddles side by side on this that spans 5-600 yards and the deer cross over from one side to the other right here. the result so far has been if i set up on the west end, the deer cross on the east end. if i set up on the east end they cross on the west end. if i set up in the middle of the 2 saddles the deer will cross on either end. when i set up on either end the deer will cross in the middle. do you see where i am going with this? when i try a set up on this particular ridge i am there before sun. also with limited cover stalking can be difficult at best with all the eyes ears and noses on you. God i love this hunt!
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like you know the area and deer very well. Hopefully you'll find some method to be able to get opportunities. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxhunter View Post
    Sounds like you know the area and deer very well. Hopefully you'll find some method to be able to get opportunities. Good luck!
    Thanks Maxhunter, i do know the area very well and have figured out that these particular deer rut in the same areas every year. ya know? i feel like i have been doing alot of the right things to have seen what i have seen in this being my 4th year hunting them with a bow, but so far haven't been able to put it all together at the right time with the big bucks. i always seem to be early or late if you know what i mean. although i did kill my first archery mule deer last year so maybe having killed a smaller buck it will get easier.
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything