Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

tripods for spotting scopes

Looking for a tripod for my new spotting scope. Any suggestions for weight, cost, ease of use, etc.?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi Stan,

There are a few threads on tripods here on the forum. The search field has been pretty helpful finding different topics for me at least. Just I thought I'd pass that on. The thread titled "Lightweight Tripod" for me was helpful on the below thread.

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/search...earchid=116731

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...ghlight=tripod

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Kevin,
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I looked at a Manfrotto today (only looked...) and am glad I checked these discussions out before I purchased one.

Stan

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What spotting scope? Some spotting scopes have feet that will mount directly to some tripod heads, without the use of a QR plate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My spotter is a Vortex Razor HD.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    My spotter is a Vortex Razor HD.
    Me too! The Razor is an excellent scope. The Razor foot will fit securely in standard Manfrotto heads without a QR plate. However, it only fits the long way, so some Manfrotto pan heads will not work properly unless you use a QR plate. Manfrotto ball heads will work great without a QR plate. The pistol heads should do OK, but the trigger will be on the side.

OF course any head will work fine with a QR plate.

One of the new light slik carbon tripod legs with a Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head would be an effective, lightweight setup for your Razor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Are you packing the tripod? I like the cheap ones for packing. Super lite and compact cause their cheap and not built very well but get the job done. I also have a liquid head on another that is an expensive, very smooth but way to heavy to pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Will use the tripod for some packing and some from ATV, horse, and pickup. I have looked at the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 which is a carbon fiber and a pistol grip type head. It extends to a good height for standing which I may want to do at times. Both only weigh around 3.8 lbs. but the cost is $450 or so. I did check out the Outdoorsman series on-line which seemed like a good tripod, but it appeared it's cost with the head was nearly what the Manfrotto was. I don't mind paying that much, but without any experience with tripods, wanted to hear from someone with experience in using them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have used that similar tripod and it was great. I think for the money you can get good results for less. I don't care for the pistol grip vs the standard style with just the arm. I think anything with a liquid filled head is very smooth and the weight won't matter much for what your doing. The fiberglass are very nice too vs aluminum as well but the cost usually is more. Do you have a sporting goods store close to you that have these that your considering to try out before purchase? I always go to either Spotsmans or Cabelas and try out for myself then look for a better deal on the web if the stores prices are high.
    For a back country pack in hunt I use the $30-$40 cheapos, ya their jumpy and and you have to adjust them to get just to were your looking but once your on target it's as still as the high dollar ones are. If you loose it or break it no big deal but if you have $$$ invested it's a big deal to replace. IMO
    Last edited by Ikeepitcold; 12-07-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Has anyone out there tried the Bog-Pod switcheroo system? I don't live very close to check one out at the store so I'm hoping one of you has. The Eastman's endorse Bog-Pod it but just wondering if anyone else here has looked at it or any feedback? I'm interested to see how steady it is, lightweight, ease of use, muti purpose and how durable it is. I'm looking at something that will do as much as I can get from it, one stop shop in a pinch to cut down on weight in my pack.

I backpack mostly so I want it to be good for that foremost. Photography Canon EOS 60D and a small light Sony HD Handycam HDR-SR12, stills and video, holding a spotter, Vortex 20-60x85 Razor HD or a Nikon ED 50 and also be able to shoot off it if I'm rifle hunting.

The quick release idea and multi purpose use has me liking it but I'm leery on how it performs for multi purpose. I could get a different mounting head to pan video smoother but I'm kind of concerned how the legs set up and lock to hold weight to be rock solid. Weight looks ok to carry but is it way to flimsy to do all it says on their website?