Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I switched from a Vanguard Alta 233ao to a Slick Sprint Mini II this year. The head that comes on the Slick Sprint in junk IMO, or at least I couldn't get used to it. I took the head off my Vanguard and put it on the Slick. It's not a high dollar high quality tripod. But for the price, and more importantly the weight and size, it works well for the pack.

I think the Vanguard was around 100 bucks or so. It's not a bad tripod either, just a tad on the heavy and bulky side for packing in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    My spotter is a Vortex Razor HD.
    I've been using a vortex ridgeline and have decided to go with something else, if interested let me know.

Treekiller

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just went to a Slik and i am happy. I use a $1,700 spotter and for some reason a cheap tripod, I know, I know... But It's hard to spend $500 for 2.3lbs tripod when I can spend $100 for a 2.7lbs, I don't remember exact weight but it was something like that... Anyways, I think Slik is a sleeper and it's a good one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Stan, I am a user of the Outdoorsmans tripod and feel like its a great choice for the kind of hunting you will be doing. It is strong, lightweight but still heavy enough to keep it pretty steady in big wind. I use mine for backpacking, horseback riding and digiscoping (taking pictures and video). I too use to buy the cheap tripods from Walmart and they did pretty good but were too light to keep the scope steady for taking pictures and video. Any breeze and it would shake like crazy. I've read many good things about the sliks but have no experience with them. Outdoorsmans is an expensive tripod but if your gonna buy high dollar optics then they deserve quality tripods that perform at the highest level. fatrooster.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Some very informative posts. I just received a new tripod I ordered from Cabelas. I got the Vangard Alta 233 AO, it was onsale for $104.00 and free shipping. I don't do a lot of backpacking while hunting, so weight was not a big consideration. I set it up with my spotter on my deck and it is quite stable, a lot better than my olf Vivitar. At the range and hunting it will serve me fine.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I also purchased the Vangard Alta 233 AO and is a really great tripod for the $. Some may consider it a little on the heavy side being about 3.5 lbs but really isn't bad at all. Very sturdy and well made. I use it for a compact spotter but don't see it handleing the big brothers any differently. This tripod serves me well as i don't use it to pack into the backcountry and when i do, my horse can help with these extra 3 lbs. If there were great glassing opportunities i wouldn't hesitate to lug this thing around for the day. M2C...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Does anybody remember which vangaurd was profiled in the eastmen mags( i don't remember which issue)?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    Has anyone out there tried the Bog-Pod switcheroo system? I don't live very close to check one out at the store so I'm hoping one of you has. The Eastman's endorse Bog-Pod it but just wondering if anyone else here has looked at it or any feedback? I'm interested to see how steady it is, lightweight, ease of use, muti purpose and how durable it is. I'm looking at something that will do as much as I can get from it, one stop shop in a pinch to cut down on weight in my pack.

I backpack mostly so I want it to be good for that foremost. Photography Canon EOS 60D and a small light Sony HD Handycam HDR-SR12, stills and video, holding a spotter, Vortex 20-60x85 Razor HD or a Nikon ED 50 and also be able to shoot off it if I'm rifle hunting.

The quick release idea and multi purpose use has me liking it but I'm leery on how it performs for multi purpose. I could get a different mounting head to pan video smoother but I'm kind of concerned how the legs set up and lock to hold weight to be rock solid. Weight looks ok to carry but is it way to flimsy to do all it says on their website?
    I have both the sitting and standing models with all the heads they offer. It works fine for me for looking at something, but they aren't real smooth panning. I have used them with my 13x minox binos to spot with, and then with the spotter to check it out closer. For video I thing you would want something smoother, for my use they are fine. I don't have it here in front of me, but I want to say the total weight of the standing bogpod with both heads was around 56oz. I'm looking at going to a Slikk tripod from S&S archery and my Stoney point rapid pivot bipod instead. We usually take 1 spotter for 2 hunters so that way if one of us is making a stalk they can take the bipod and leave the spotter set-up for the other one to use. The bog-pod would handle the weight you are looking at fine and is durable as long as you use the leg-locks like the directions say and don't over-extend them.