Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    I use 160 accu bond 7mm wsm. I think 140 is to small for elk. I killed an elk at 420 yards with pass thru in the lungs hitting ribs. 200 yards with 140 or less I think will do the job but minimum IMO is 160.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    140s should be fine but to reiterate what Bitterroot Bulls said, use high integrity bullets like Barnes, Accubond, Partition, etc. I've killed many bulls with .270 130 grain Core Lokts, just to give some perspective. So as long as you're putting those bullets in the right spot, you should be fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUcat61 View Post
    140s should be fine but to reiterate what Bitterroot Bulls said, use high integrity bullets like Barnes, Accubond, Partition, etc. I've killed many bulls with .270 130 grain Core Lokts, just to give some perspective. So as long as you're putting those bullets in the right spot, you should be fine.
    ideally i put that shot right in the center of the ">" located directly above the center of the front leg about 1/3 up.
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another vote for the 160 Accubonds. I also shoot a 7mm WSM, no problem knocking elk down at extended yardage.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think just about any bullet will work with good shot placement. The question is will it work with poor shot placement. Nobody wants to make a bad shot, but they're a fact of life. I would want something bigger than a ballistic tip type of bullet. Others are correct, the worst penetration will be at the shortest ranges. I shoot a 7 mag and use the 160g. Accubonds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    For Elk you really want a good bonded bullet, there are a bunch of them to choose from. I use the Hornady SST 180 grain in my 300 win mag.

Kevin

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ok so i went out yesterday morning on a late season rifle cow elk hunt. after your input and a little research i decided to go with the WS Accubonds in 140 gr. after seeing the entry hole and finding the bullet under the off side hide i will tell you that i will not hesitate to use this bullet on any North American big game in the future if i decide to rifle hunt ever again. the bullet shows no signs of coming apart. she did not go far. the shot was approximately 300 yards. thanks for the feedback everyone.

sidenote: i haven't rifle hunted since '07. i started bow hunting in '08 and this rifle hunt made me realize that i am a bowhunter thru and thru.
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the above post...I call my rifle my get even stick...bowhunting is my passion!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another vote for the Accubond. It's a great bullet. It took a lot for me to switch from the Partition, but the AB did it. I use the 140gr in a .270. Plenty for elk with proper shot placement.

Back in the 50-60's I used to kill elk with a 30-30, so it doesn't take as much as you think if you hit them where it hurts.

btw..First post here. Hi guys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been using Barnes Triple Shoks for years and for last couple yrs. the Tipped Triple Shoks since the came out. I've shot plenty of elk,deer and antelope with them and to me, they are deadly. They are the most accurate bullet out of my 300 Ultra Mag and 7mm Rem Mag. I'd tell you the size groups I get with 100.0 grs. of Hogdon's Retumo and 180 gr. Triple Shok of either variety ,but you would think I was fibbing. The Accubonds are the 2nd most accurate bullet with the same load. I've only shot one antelope with it though. I'm sure the Accubond as well as a lot of different bullets will kill elk just as dead but for smashing bone or going through both side of animal including elk, I guarantee no other bullet will do it better than a TSX or TTSX. And no, I don't work for Barnes.