Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you were building an elk rifle, what would you make?

What would be your ideal rifle for hunting elk where both hikes and shots can be long?

I am going to build one before fall of 2012 and with the waits from barrel companies I figured I should get that part started soon. Also this rifle will be expensive, so if I sell a couple other ones this year and start buying parts now I can spread out the cost. I figured I'd list what I was thinking of and see what others favorites were.

I have a browning A-bolt in 270WSM that I like really well for deer, especially the tang safety. For elk I'd like to start with an A-bolt action and build a 300WSM. Other components would be 24" Kreiger #2 barrel, Mcmillian Hunters Edge ultralight stock, Leupold 4.5x14 CDS scope, 2lb trigger spring kit, and Vias removable muzzle brake. I'd get the twist to shoot 180gr accubonds and work up a load that pushed them around 3000fps. The velocity and ballistic coefficient would be real close to that of my 270WSM load with 140gr accubonds to keep switching rifles simple.

What are your dream rifles?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am no gun smith, but a rem/savage action will be able to be trued up by most gunsmiths, and are relitivly cheap to have work done on. Not to sure about Browning. Just dropped my rem off and will be truing the action, Jewell trigger (about 2 or 2.5 lbs) Kreigher Barrel with a break, and I already have a HS stock and will be full action bedding it. I worked up a good shooting load on the factory rifle with 190gr Bergers, and they are under 3000 fps. I could have gone higher on the powder but my groups opened up a bit with no pressure signs. It will be nice to see what kind of improvements this work will provide, other than making my wallet lighter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just got a 338 RUM with a 26" Krieger #5 contour 1-10 twist. It's got a Harrell's brake and a Tubb recoil lug. The action is a 700 and the stock is Remington laminated wood. It used to be an XCR so it has an X-Mark trigger, but they did some work to it and it's around 2.8 lbs. Action and bolt lugs have been trued. Also has an extended mag box which is nice because rumor has it that Berger is making a couple brand new 300g VLD options with very high coefficients. For now, I'll be playing with the 225g TTSX. I'm hoping I can do 3100 fps. I'm planning on putting on a VX-3 6.5-20x50 with the long range target turrets.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I was to do it all over again, it would be a Win Model 70 or a Rem 700 action, a Brown Precision or HS Precision stock, a Shilen SS barrel in #3 taper, and top it off with a Swaro Z6 scope. I've been kinda leaning towards a 300 WSM, although it would be hard to let go of the 300 win mag.

The rifle I had built has the following items: Rem 700 action, Brown Precision stock, a #3 taper Lother Walther barrel, and a Zeiss conquest scope with the Z-Plex. Originally, it had a #5 Douglas barrel and a Burris Black Diamond scope with the 50mm objective lens, but the thing was a tank.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
    I am no gun smith, but a rem/savage action will be able to be trued up by most gunsmiths, and are relitivly cheap to have work done on. Not to sure about Browning. Just dropped my rem off and will be truing the action, Jewell trigger (about 2 or 2.5 lbs) Kreigher Barrel with a break, and I already have a HS stock and will be full action bedding it. I worked up a good shooting load on the factory rifle with 190gr Bergers, and they are under 3000 fps. I could have gone higher on the powder but my groups opened up a bit with no pressure signs. It will be nice to see what kind of improvements this work will provide, other than making my wallet lighter.
    I chose the browning because the tang is my favorite safety design. I've had the remington safety's rub off into the fire position on my pack when carrying the rifle over my left shoulder. I want a safety that locks the bolt down that I can't rub off. I like the winchester or ruger safety also, but the tang is my favorite. The guy I hunt with is having an aftermarket 3 position put in his 700. The savage action would work fine for me too, honestly I just like the looks of the Browning better.

Elkaholic that 338 should get the job done! I love the ballistics, I just prefer a shorter rifle to hunt with especially when carrying it in my eberlestock. It won't have the range or thump of yours though. I have a 6.5x20 on my 6mm Rem and love it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    300 Win Mag. Start with a Asylum Arms action(made by Defiance Machine. Improved 700). 26" Brux #3 in a HS precision sporter stock. Topped off with a NightForce NXS 3-15x50.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm going to go the other way on this. If your hunting elk in heavy cover most of the time, I would go with a 45/70 or a 450 nitro with the shortest barrel your area allows and single shot action. If your in the open country, then all the above suggestions are great, long shooting, hard hitting rounds. In the thick crap elk live in around me, there is no replacement for a big brick of lead. Small branches and leaves are no match.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HUNT4U View Post
    300 Win Mag. Start with a Asylum Arms action(made by Defiance Machine. Improved 700). 26" Brux #3 in a HS precision sporter stock. Topped off with a NightForce NXS 3-15x50.
    Ya what he said. That should do it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .300 RUM custom with Zeiss Conquest and Kenton Custom turrets on top.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like everyone has some really nice rifles.