Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Treatment

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    +1 on the Katadyn, I use the hiker model. I also carry a frontier filter straw in my little emergency kit in my pocket. That way I have a back-up, and if I drop my pack for a stalk that gets drawn out I can drink from any available source if needed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I recently bought the 2 part pristine. Other than the directions that came with it, has anyone found improvements on how to use it or other sound advice, thxs!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a MSR water filter and it works great. It is durable but a little bulky, which I don't mind as it works for me for now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    this worked well for my brother and I last year 14 days afield. it was quick and you could just walk away and do other things like cook while the water transfered. http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/gravityworks-filter/product

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used a steripen for the past few years and it has worked great. i do take an extra battery and a couple of backup tablets just in case. for the weight and time it takes to treat, pretty handy little piece of equipment.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    this worked well for my brother and I last year 14 days afield. it was quick and you could just walk away and do other things like cook while the water transfered. http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/gravityworks-filter/product
    I basically have the same thing from Katadyn. A bag you dip in the creek and let gravity feed thru the filter and I fill up a 3 gallon collapsible clear plastic water bladder. It takes about 1/2 hour to drain the bag. I keep iy in camp. I do not carry a pump in the field. I just carry 2-20 ounce water bottles. If I get something down, I use a little water to clean up for the pictures and then I usually run out but 40 ounces usually gets me thru the day. Do not eat snow! I did this when I shot my goat so I could clean him up for pictures and used all my water. I read somewhere that you use more energy to melt snow than you get. I found out the hard way. It depends on how high you hunt but sometimes I will take a chance drinking snow melt or creek water unfiltered. I like to live on the edge

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Maybe I've been lucky, but for more than 40 years of hunting and camping, I've never used any purification system at all. No one I've hunted or camped with has come up sick or had any problems from the water! You have to be a little selective where you get your water from but with a little care it is not hard to find. My favorite is fresh spring water right out of the rocks!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    I use a MSR filter for some water and then put in the drops to purify it further. Where I am lots of the water is pretty full of dirt, moss, sticks, and other solid crap. The filter makes a big difference.
    I also use the MSR. It's a great light weight filter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    do you guys like your Katadyn hiker model? was comparing it to the Platypus gravity bag i think is what you call it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Maybe I've been lucky, but for more than 40 years of hunting and camping, I've never used any purification system at all. No one I've hunted or camped with has come up sick or had any problems from the water! You have to be a little selective where you get your water from but with a little care it is not hard to find. My favorite is fresh spring water right out of the rocks!
    Me too. One thing I know is that the only place I will use water W/O any purification is in wilderness areas where there is no livestock.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley