Thread: Moose Hunting

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Moose Hunting

I am thinking of moose hunting in northern ID. I have never been there but from what I have read it looks like the best
    chance for a non-res to get a tag...any buddy know any thing about moose hunting ID.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Never been to N Id to hunt but have been around the Palisades Res a lot hunting elk and have seen a ton of moose. The biggest I've ever seen was just above the Res on the West side. PM me and I can give you details if you are interested in that area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, there are lots of moose throughout the state. KeepitCold's advice is true. The eastern part of Idaho is good moose hunting grounds; I've seen some nice bulls hunting Palisades for elk as well. Island Park Zone is another great place for moose.

But if N. Idaho has the best odds for non-residents, then let me tell you, there's no shortage of moose. I see moose every time I go out whitetail hunting up there. Mid-September is a good time to come, as they are in the rut, and the calling is primetime.

Here's the thing to weigh out. East Idaho will be more open with sagebrush and aspen stands, and a good bit of thick timber. You can go there, glass easily as they come out in the morning to feed, and then stalk. I think you have a better opportunity to pick and choose in E. Idaho.

In North Idaho, you are more in timbered areas. Glassing is not as easy. But walk down any creek in any drainage, and you'll likely find moose tracks.

Pretty high success rates wherever you decide to go.
    http://www.idahoman.com/ - an online, outdoors focused magazine, highlighting hunting, fishing, the land, and the issues surrounding those opportunities in Idaho.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    'cold is right. There's a lot of moose in E. Idaho. I've also hunted the Palisades Zone, and have stumbled upon some nice bulls - same for the Island Park Zone. But they are just as numerous in North Idaho, if not more. I can't hardly go whitetail hunting without seeing a moose. Almost any drainage with a creek will hold moose, whether you hunt in the Palouse or in the mountains to the east and north.

I would weigh out two things: 1. where's the best chance for you to get a tag, and 2. what kind of terrain do you prefer to hunt on.

Sounds like N. Idaho may give you the best odds. But realize that you'll be hunting in timber, and you get to test your tracking skills. E. Idaho gives you more opportunities to spot and stalk. Either way, hunter success is nearly 100%.

Hope that helps.
    http://www.idahoman.com/ - an online, outdoors focused magazine, highlighting hunting, fishing, the land, and the issues surrounding those opportunities in Idaho.