Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Access Questions

i read a thread earlier which stated problems with publicly accessable roads in wyoming. i was under the impression that if i could get my truck down the road being paved or dirt or even a 2 track that it was a public road. can someone tell me if i am wrong or maybe somewhat rite. i only ask because a friend and i hunted goats in unit 6 last year and had a very successful outing but after reading the thread ealier to nite im afraid i mite have not been on a public accessable road. so some clerifacation would be great. so we know for next year when we go back. thanks for any help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post
    Nope, there are some roads around here that the road goes through private land and if you want to be able to go on that portion of the road, you have to seek permission from the property owner first. In one of the spots that I shed hunt, there is a little section of the road that is on private land and by little, I mean like seriously 10 feet.. The game warden the last two years down there has sat there and gave everyone trespassing tickets on their way back out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jenbickel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Only taking a stab at this.... But I think it is the hunters responsibility to know boundary lines. There are roads on private property too so just because there is a road doesn't grant permission to hunt. Sorry... But I can't give you even some what right on this one....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks jen for the info. i have another question for you. in unit 6 and im sure in most of the other units out there there is public hunting ground that are completely sorrounded by private land. how does anyone get on those public grounds. i got a feeling you are going to tell me that i have to get permission from the land owner to cross there property to get there. and if they say no you cant cross then it realy isnt public ground then if they dont let people cross their property. hopefully i am wrong and there is a way to get to them. let me know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by lineman1779 View Post
    thanks jen for the info. i have another question for you. in unit 6 and im sure in most of the other units out there there is public hunting ground that are completely sorrounded by private land. how does anyone get on those public grounds. i got a feeling you are going to tell me that i have to get permission from the land owner to cross there property to get there. and if they say no you cant cross then it realy isnt public ground then if they dont let people cross their property. hopefully i am wrong and there is a way to get to them. let me know.
    Unfortunately, the "landlocked" public land that you mention is off-limits unless you can get permission from a landowner. Like Jen mentioned earlier, you MUST have permission from the landowner. The only other way I know of that you can legally get to that land is via the aerial assault. But to do that, you either need an airplane or helicopter. It sucks............. There are probably hundreds of thousands of acres of public land in the U.S. that really isn't public at all. Maybe even millions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NDHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post
    ND Hunter is correct. There is a lot of public land here that is landlocked by private land. The only way to acess it is to get permission from the land owners. I have also noticed that even though the land is public, since it is private land surrounding it, a lot of land owners will consider it "their land." You will run into a few land owners that will be generous enough to let you cross their land to get into the public land but I will admit that there isnt a lot of them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jenbickel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    Nope, there are some roads around here that the road goes through private land and if you want to be able to go on that portion of the road, you have to seek permission from the property owner first. In one of the spots that I shed hunt, there is a little section of the road that is on private land and by little, I mean like seriously 10 feet.. The game warden the last two years down there has sat there and gave everyone trespassing tickets on their way back out.
    I've hunted Wyoming since the 70's and know what you are talking about. BUT in the situation you mention seems to me this is like a speed trap on the highway! If it is not posted or gated, it would be very difficult to justify a ticket for trespassing. I realize you are supposed to know where you are in relation to private property, but this just seems a bit extreme.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i really am grateful from all of you with the info you are give me. it will really help for next year. i will have alot more questions as the year goes on. now with what we have discussed so far i havve maps and i purchased a chip for my gps that shows unit boundries and if the roads are marked on both resources that i have are they public or private roads. like i said i really am grateful with the info. and hope you all have a safe and marry holidays.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i really am grateful from all of you with the info you are give me. it will really help for next year. i will have alot more questions as the year goes on. now with what we have discussed so far i havve maps and i purchased a chip for my gps that shows unit boundries and if the roads are marked on both resources that i have are they public or private roads. like i said i really am grateful with the info. and hope you all have a safe and marry holidays.
    I made my first trip to WY this fall and ran into the access issues. I had the huntinggpsmaps and could clearly tell what property was public/private. The problem I ran into was trying to figure out which roads were public. It turned out there was only 1 country road in our entire unit. Other than this county road and the highway, everything in the unit was private. Pretty much every road in existence showed up on my GPS, but they were not marked as private. I called the BLM 3 times to find out if they have maps that show which roads are public. They said no (so I don't have any BLM maps) but told me that if it's maintained by a grader it's public. Well, I can promise you that is wrong.

I'd be interested to know if you have something that specifically shows which roads are public.

I have a feeling many beginners in WY inadvertently hunt on ground that is illegal and never get caught. It's frustrating to the point it makes you want to take your chances, but as soon as you understand the rules there will be someone there watching. My advice is to not be shy on this board or with the Game & Fish in WY in getting your questions answered. They won't be shy about writing you a ticket if you're wrong. And it can be pretty difficult to understand.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As a general rule in Wyoming, the County Roads, Highways, and Forest Service roads are public. If you are on one of these roads, and on public land, then 2 tracks will also be public until you get to the edge of the public land. If you are on private land on one of the roads, then 2 tracks will be private, and you would have to ask the landowner permission to cross the land. The above stated roads are pretty well marked. As long as you make sure some of the public land at least touches one of the public roads, and start your access from there, you will be pretty well off.