Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    You just gotta be careful on the two track roads because there are a lot of areas that are really checkerboarded with private and public land and just because you started on public doesn't mean you can keep going.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcannon View Post
    As a general rule in Wyoming, the County Roads, Highways, and Forest Service roads are public. If you are on one of these roads, and on public land, then 2 tracks will also be public until you get to the edge of the public land. If you are on private land on one of the roads, then 2 tracks will be private, and you would have to ask the landowner permission to cross the land. The above stated roads are pretty well marked. As long as you make sure some of the public land at least touches one of the public roads, and start your access from there, you will be pretty well off.
    99% of the roads in the state are NOT one of the above mentioned options.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Whoever told you that the BLM maps did not show road status did not know what they were talking about. The latest BLM surface land status maps clearly label which roads have an easement across private property. These are BLM, county, and USFS roads, state and interstate highways. Other public access roads such as WGFD easements are also clearly marked. The key at the bottom of the map will show which symbol represents each jurisdiction, in all cases by the road number within a box, trapezoid, circle, etc. If a road is not one of these and crosses private lands, the portion on the private property is NOT public access. Most of the newer edition BLM surface status maps also show easements across private lands with shading along the road in addition to the road label.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you talked to someone with that particular BLM office that either did not know their job, spoke out of turn, or did not know their head from a hole in the ground. It happens.

Colorado Cowboy, in Wyoming, it is clearly stated in the regulations that it is the sportsman's responsibility to know the land status where they are hunting, it can't be much more black and white.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWyo View Post
    Whoever told you that the BLM maps did not show road status did not know what they were talking about. The latest BLM surface land status maps clearly label which roads have an easement across private property. These are BLM, county, and USFS roads, state and interstate highways. Other public access roads such as WGFD easements are also clearly marked. The key at the bottom of the map will show which symbol represents each jurisdiction, in all cases by the road number within a box, trapezoid, circle, etc. If a road is not one of these and crosses private lands, the portion on the private property is NOT public access. Most of the newer edition BLM surface status maps also show easements across private lands with shading along the road in addition to the road label.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you talked to someone with that particular BLM office that either did not know their job, spoke out of turn, or did not know their head from a hole in the ground. It happens.

Colorado Cowboy, in Wyoming, it is clearly stated in the regulations that it is the sportsman's responsibility to know the land status where they are hunting, it can't be much more black and white.
    Very well put! That is exactly right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I know that you are supposed to know the status of the land & roads that you are using...or intent to use. Read my post carefully and the last sentance says that. I was just saying that it seemed a little extreme that a warden would use a 10' strip of private road on an otherwise public access road to write tickets. Just seems a little chicken s#%t to me. I know if I were issued a citation and that piece of road was not posted or had a gate, I would go to court. Probably lose...but at least I'd get to make my point in front of a judge! I've hunted private & public land for 30 years all over western Wyoming and have never seen anything like this.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    southernwyo, its good to hear that there must be newer maps out there because the blm maps that i recieved were from 09. and from what you are saying sounds like they are pretty nice and easy to read. i will look into the new maps. and mohunter i think it was your thread that i read a couple of days ago and what got all of this started. i was really miss led with what and what wasnt public access. and for a none resident it is very frustrasting that we are told and miss led with the information that we recieve from public officals and then we are the ones paying the possible fines. I KNOW IT IS THE HUNTERS RESPONSIBLITY TO KNOW THE ACCESSES, but what are we to do when we are the ones miss led. i am not by any means a violator in any way and now i feel bad because the goat that i harvested last yr maybe was taken without permssion of the private land owner whose land that we crossed to get to public land and i feel really bad if that is the case.

hopefully we both can get some very clear direction for the following yrs to come.

and to southernwyo we know what the regulations say in black and white. its just the information we both have recieved that is and was grey.

like i said before i am gratefull with the info you all are giving to make the grey go away and make it black and white

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That Game Warden is a first class asshole.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWyo View Post

Fantastic! I will be ordering some maps tomorrow. It sure would have saved me a ton of time, frustration, and arguments if someone would have simply told me this several months ago. With this information I can cross-reference my other maps and google earth to determine some good options for future use. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    these so called new maps may be boggus i have look hard this afternoon and all i am seeing are the same maps that i recieved in june of this year. and when i stop at the f&g office in newcastle they had the same maps that i already had. mohunter if you happen to find some that are new and up to date let me know

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    The only trouble with the BLM maps is the ones I have from Wyoming all have a sticker on the front that says:
    NOTICE-NOTICE-NOTICE
    Due to Federal and State land exchanges the map may not accurately reflect land ownership status. Please consult the local BLM Field Office or USFS Ranger District for current updates of ownership status.

Also most of the maps I have are at least 10 years old and some are 20. Fat chance that you will get correct information. Most of the USFS offices I've been to don't have a clue as to changes in BLM and visa versa. The best thing I have done is to go to the county seat and get some landowner maps and overlay them on the BLM maps. Lots of work, but other than looking up the local ranchers, probably the best you can do.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley