Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Planning a Mule deer hunt for next year and need some help

So like the title of my post says im planning a mule deer hunt for next year. I will be hunting with a rifle and im just trying to figure out where i should try to go. I live in Battle Ground Washington so im not that far away from Idaho. I was mostly looking at the Nez Perce National Forest or the Payette National Forest. I also have family that lives up in the panhandle but I dont really know how the mule deer hunting is up there. I would like to be able to do a five day backpack hunt. I would love to hear some feed back on the hunting in these areas and some information that would narrow my location. Thank you.

Thanks
    buy a wolf license to go with your deer tag. i was talking to a friend that lives in Idaho and was told that the hunting in the Nez Pierce area sucks do to constant hunting by the local tribes and now wolves. both for deer and elk.
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    I'm in the same boat Blake. I have a wedding on sept 8 in Boise and hope to make a two for one trip out of it. Since I have never stepped foot into Idaho, i haven't a clue where to begin.

Thanks
    Blake, both the Idaho Panhandle and Nezperce areas have good mule deer opportunities. In the Panhandle, whitetails are numerous in the valleys and river bottoms. Up higher are some nice mulies. Either side of the Purcell Trench is not bad hunting, if you're willing to put in the work to find them. You have to get off of main trails, back pack in.

The Nez Perce area has a decent mulie herd, and some big ones are taken out of the area south of Lewiston every year. But, yeah, watch where you're at - you don't want to be caught on any private ground - and especially not tribal ground!

If you had five days to pack in somewhere, I'd recommend going a little further south toward Riggins, then head east into the wilderness. Steep and rugged, but also some great mulie hunting.

Thanks
    Biker Ed,

will you be bow hunting? Most rifle seasons won't be open until early to mid October.

Thanks
    My best advice would be...go to Colorado. I live in Idaho and the muley numbers are almost gone and the whitetail numbers are down. I don't know about the southern half of the state, but this is just my observation of the north half of the state. Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I just got back from Colorado and I was amazed at how many deer and elk I saw.
    Kurtski

Thanks
    Panhandle muleys are there, and I know guys that track them down in the mountains each year. But you have to get away from the roads, and it's pretty heavily timbered. So if you're not familiar with the area, I wouldn't make that my first choice.

I would suggest the Payette N.F. - you can backpack in to some pretty remote areas, and there's plenty of mule deer. Some monsters are pulled out of there, but it's usually by the guys who are willing to hike into the steepest canyons. But in this area, there's a lot more glassing opportunities (it's more open). Spotting and stalking is the name of the game there, but be in good shape if you're going to be stalking successfully.
    http://www.idahoman.com/ - an online, outdoors focused magazine, highlighting hunting, fishing, the land, and the issues surrounding those opportunities in Idaho.

Thanks
    that is my plan is to hike about 10 miles and stay for atleast five days. I am in really good shape and have done this sort of hunting before but always wanted to do it in idaho.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtski25 View Post
    My best advice would be...go to Colorado. I live in Idaho and the muley numbers are almost gone and the whitetail numbers are down. I don't know about the southern half of the state, but this is just my observation of the north half of the state. Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I just got back from Colorado and I was amazed at how many deer and elk I saw.
    Kurtski
    I cant really afford to go to colorado and plus im not looking for an easy hunt i get my deer and elf every year and now im looking for more of a challenge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blakebow8 View Post
    I cant really afford to go to colorado and plus im not looking for an easy hunt i get my deer and elf every year and now im looking for more of a challenge.
    There are still some good deer in Eastern Idaho. The backcountry of the Frank Church has some good bucks, and if you are looking for a hard backcountry hunt, it would definitely be that.

BTW, what are the odds to draw an elf tag?