Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cacklercrazy View Post
    Hunt more and kill more critters with my bow!
    Always a good goal!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I'm not sure it will get easier after your first elk. It didn't for me.

I also think a mature mule deer is harder to get than a bull elk. In Colorado anyway.
    Well I guess its either different up here or im a better deer hunter than elk hunter or both. Ive had my chances at big bucks but I have only had one chance at an elk and it was a remote chance at that. I will meet both of my goals this year regardless.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Boy View Post
    Well I guess its either different up here or im a better deer hunter than elk hunter or both. Ive had my chances at big bucks but I have only had one chance at an elk and it was a remote chance at that. I will meet both of my goals this year regardless.
    We have more elk, and less mature bucks. At least in my unit. Elk get stupid during the rut. I don't hunt bucks during the rut, and they haven't gotten stupid yet. They are up above treeline, and are pretty clever.

So, it comes down to when they are hunted, and how many there are. I've had others tell me that bucks are a tough hunt compared to elk, but of course it depends on conditions. The key word is mature buck. Those old boys didn't get old by being stupid.

Thanks
    Anyone else feel like elk in the rut is almost tougher than pre rut elk? Sure you hear more bulls and see more, but often times they're with a bunch of cows, which means more eyes more noses, and tougher to get a shot or pull a bull away from his herd. Most mags tell you the rut is the time to nail a big bull, but I almost feel pre rut is the time.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    Anyone else feel like elk in the rut is almost tougher than pre rut elk? Sure you hear more bulls and see more, but often times they're with a bunch of cows, which means more eyes more noses, and tougher to get a shot or pull a bull away from his herd. Most mags tell you the rut is the time to nail a big bull, but I almost feel pre rut is the time.
    They still have the girls in mind during the pre rut. It's during the post rut and later rifle seasons that it gets tougher. Hard to call them in. I find hunting rifle seasons harder than the muzzleloader season. I wish I was a bow hunter. I like that month long season.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    They still have the girls in mind during the pre rut. It's during the post rut and later rifle seasons that it gets tougher. Hard to call them in. I find hunting rifle seasons harder than the muzzleloader season. I wish I was a bow hunter. I like that month long season.
    doesn't take much to learn...

it's really not complicated if that's the concern.

My only recommendation is go to a real pro shop for archery not a big box store, they'll show you the ropes for sure.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    doesn't take much to learn...

it's really not complicated if that's the concern.

My only recommendation is go to a real pro shop for archery not a big box store, they'll show you the ropes for sure.
    Not so much that as a bum shoulder. That's why I set up my .270 for a soft recoil. I shot a bow a lot when I was young, but never went hunting. I wish I had now.

Thanks
    Everyone has some awsome goals. Here's my archery goals.

1) Get into better shape than I was last year, so I can push myself harder and longer on backcountry hunts.
    2) Spot and stalk a spring black bear.
    3) Spot and stalk a PY mountain mulie.
    4) Spot and stalk an antelope buck with my bow. Would be my 3rd spot and stalk goat with archery.
    5) Let the smaller bulls walk, and kill my biggest bull to date.
    6) Have my 7 year old son with me on as many of these hunts as possible.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Just sent off all my applications for this year.
    Colorado - Antelope (11 pts, hope to get a draw); Late season Rifle Deer; Muzzleloading Either Sex Elk. I have enough pts for both.

Wyoming - Antelope Buck & 2 Does (group application with a hunting buddy from Calif) We have enough Pts to draw these too.

Should be able to fill the freezer!

Colorado Desert Sheep tag sent off a couple of days ago.....would trade all of the others for this one!!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 02-11-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    I love elk hunting but I put my 4th big bull on the wall last year and that's enough. So my goal for this year is to take on new challenges. This is a big reason I applied for a Utah archery mule deer hunt and should draw with 15 points. And hope to draw a good tag I could combo with. I have piles of points all over. Need to burn one of these each year from now on.