Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Low herd numbers

Talked to a biologist at ODFW today, they have removed hair/antlerless tags from most units due to a noticeable decline in numbers, and are experiencing a decline in bull only units as well. I mentioned the unit we hunt was definatly on the decline year over year. They say majority of the problem is from over hunting, but I think its the Cougars... Also the aerial surveys are definitely "Padded", who knows what the real numbers are.. We've managed to fill a few tags but Id rather not hunt a year and see the numbers increase. Anyone else have an opinion on this?...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with you. I believe they need to make any draw buck tag 3 point plus. It'd make it better trophy hunts and allow bucks to mature to breeding age. As for elk they need to devise an archery control. Look at the number of people hunting units. Its outrageous. Especially in the northwest. Its ridiculous that guys dont draw their rifle tags so they buy a bow. They need control to even the pressure

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think the problems are multiple. ODFW issues too many tags during seasons that are way too short. They cram everyone in a unit in a short period of time and the animals are too pressured. On top of that, the idiots can't figure out that we have a terrible predator problem. When they stop allowing people to hunt cats with dogs and then have to hire professionals to come in and kill cats - that's a problem (isn't the State kind of low on $$$ now?). And, the population counts are extremely flawed. When the fly over a huge tract of private land (such as Silvies Valley) and count 400 head of elk - they issue tags based on those elk being "huntable." They are too proud of screwing up to look at another state's wildlife management just like they are too proud to look at any other state that doesn't have budget problems for advice. The fact of the matter is that we have too many people in Salem that (whether they agree with the enviro's or not) are scared to do anything any different because the enviros have more money than us, and are more organized, to jump in to the middle of the game and tell the Department Head's how they will manage resources. Until Salem decides to manage resources with their own knowledge, we are on a course of irreparable consequences.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would like to see a decrease in doe/ cow tags to almost nothing until populations pick back up. I understand in certain areas these tags are essential, but they are not needed in other areas in times of low heard population. The biggest problem as I see it is predators. Bear, cougar and the up and coming Wolf population are the biggest threat to the wild game population. Unfortunately there are too many idiots in the northwest portion of the state with a bigger vote than the rest of the state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLBUX View Post
    I think the problems are multiple. ODFW issues too many tags during seasons that are way too short. They cram everyone in a unit in a short period of time and the animals are too pressured. On top of that, the idiots can't figure out that we have a terrible predator problem. When they stop allowing people to hunt cats with dogs and then have to hire professionals to come in and kill cats - that's a problem (isn't the State kind of low on $$$ now?). And, the population counts are extremely flawed. When the fly over a huge tract of private land (such as Silvies Valley) and count 400 head of elk - they issue tags based on those elk being "huntable." They are too proud of screwing up to look at another state's wildlife management just like they are too proud to look at any other state that doesn't have budget problems for advice. The fact of the matter is that we have too many people in Salem that (whether they agree with the enviro's or not) are scared to do anything any different because the enviros have more money than us, and are more organized, to jump in to the middle of the game and tell the Department Head's how they will manage resources. Until Salem decides to manage resources with their own knowledge, we are on a course of irreparable consequences.
    Very well put! They (ODFW,Oregon legislature) all know the hole they are digging this state into. From lack of habitat to predators as well as tag quotas that are only there to assure revenue. We seen this happen from 15 years ago in eastern oregon with mule deer herds going through hard winters and the tag numbers stayed high no matter what. Now some of the best units in oregon are just shells of what they once were. Sad to see for those of us that have spent there whole lives enjoying the Oregon outdoors