Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth gun

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 6 Posts

Youth gun

My 8 year old daughter took her first big game animal this year a doe pronghorn. She used a 223 55 grain bullet and we got to about 100 yards. I think this caliber is to small for big game. She is very comfortable with the recoil and that was the main reason for the choice of this caliber.

Here is my question. I want to move her up to a bigger caliber that will be more affective on big game. Not elk but Mule deer, Whitetail, and pronghorn. I was thinking about a 22-250, 25-06, 6mm. Any thoughts on these calibers or suggestions of others that will be available in a youth model? I don't mind putting on a muzzle break either just don't want her to be scared of the recoil.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Remington model 7 youth in 7mm-08. Perfect.

The only problem is you might end up using it more than her.

I think muzzle breaks cause more flinches than they cure in novice shooters due to the extreme muzzle blast.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I have a rem 700 my dad bought me when I was a youngster. It is in .243 win. I have a deer load worked up for along with a varmint load that shoot 3800 fps. It's a tack driver. I don't know If Remington still makes a youth model 700 but I think it is perfect youth weapon. The only difference is the stock and a 21" barrel. The action Is the same and when I shoot the barrel out I am going to make it into a full size 6mm Ppc. I am glad my dad bought what he did because of the fact Otis on a legendary action and it can convert to not a youth gun if that makes sense. If he would have bought something else I would have been stuck with a youth model my whole life.

To get a little more back on topic, you can't go wrong with any of the cartridges you listed. I am partial to the 6mm rem though. I think that's what I would shoot personally if I was hunting the animals you listed. Can't hardly beat the 25-06 though! That's another great cartridge. That's my old mans go to weapon! They both have killed plenty of mule deer and antelope!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 1 Post
    I have a .257 that I use for deer and antelope. It's not a youth model but it is super flat shootin' and there is basically no recoil and believe me, it will freakin drop any deer or antelope. I've shot a lot of different guns and it is by far my favorite. I will be letting my daughter use it as soon as she is old enough.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Ruger lever action 44 mag is a great first gun for young hunters. It is the perfect size for smaller people. Looks just like the Ruger 10/22 but shoots the 44 mag pistol cartridge. Mine has seen several first time deer! It's not good for more than about a 100 yards but very good for shorter distances!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Bought my son a rem model 7 243 youth. Cant go wrong with the model 7 in 243 or 7mm-08. I use his 243 for coyotes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Years ago when my son turned 11 (back in the mid 70's) I bought him a Remington M600 in .243. A great gun and good caliber for youngsters. Enough pop for deer & antelope and very accurate. He still has it and it still shoots!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My dad bought me a ruger 25-06, problem is, they are a really long rifle, but a great rifle, you can kill elk with em pretty easily so deer and goats shouldn't be an issue

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.768398,-105.400931

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    I went with the Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm 08 for my daughter to use on deer, elk, and antelope. My daughter is petite and started with this gun at age 12. It has the add on stock piece to use as they grow. I'm happy with my decision. She took a cow elk at 130 yds this year, one shot.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 6 Posts
    Thanx for all the info. I'm leaning towards the 243. I have shot one for whitetail and I'm thinking it would be a good one for her to move up to. There is a MFG that offers a youth stock and comes with a adult stock with the purchase of the gun so when she out grows the youth stock I will have the other to replace it. Can't remember which one it is but will look at them again.