Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth gun

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Remington model 7 youth in 7mm-08. Perfect.

The only problem is you might end up using it more than her.

I think muzzle breaks cause more flinches than they cure in novice shooters due to the extreme muzzle blast.
    I got one for my son and it shoots amazing. I'm very impressed with the caliber, especially for being a youth model. BB is right, my son's always telling me "did you buy me that gun or did you buy it for you." Unfortunately I use it more than him!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Thanx for all the info. I'm leaning towards the 243. I have shot one for whitetail and I'm thinking it would be a good one for her to move up to. There is a MFG that offers a youth stock and comes with a adult stock with the purchase of the gun so when she out grows the youth stock I will have the other to replace it. Can't remember which one it is but will look at them again.
    Weatherby used to offer this. Now they sell it with an adjustable stock. However, the sell a "carbine" model that is essentially the old youth gun in the adult stock. It has a shorter barrel. I purchased the carbine in .243 (which I love) and purchased a factory second youth stock from Weatherby for a decent price. There are still some of the old model with 2 stocks floating around if you look a little.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't over look the short mags by browning. i have 25 WSSM for my pack in hunts, super light weight light, short stalk, and short action. 300 yards is it's max effective range, in my opinion at least. They make it in a 243 too. Phenominal caliber and gun.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Don't over look the short mags by browning. i have 25 WSSM for my pack in hunts, super light weight light, short stalk, and short action. 300 yards is it's max effective range, in my opinion at least. They make it in a 243 too. Phenominal caliber and gun.
    I've never heard of a 25 wssm. I'll look into it. I have seen wssm before but not the 25. Thanx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    opps... that was supposed to be stock, not stalk But check it out, great ballistics.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know i already put in my two cents here, but I want to point out that the 7mm-08 is a much more flexible round. You get a really good selection of bullets available, with better ballistic coefficients than the .243. Recoil is negligable, and downrange energy is much better. It is also a perfectly capable elk round with a good 140 grain bullet.

I shot my first buck with a .243, but my kids will be shooting theirs with a 7-08.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I know i already put in my two cents here, but I want to point out that the 7mm-08 is a much more flexible round. You get a really good selection of bullets available, with better ballistic coefficients than the .243. Recoil is negligable, and downrange energy is much better. It is also a perfectly capable elk round with a good 140 grain bullet.

I shot my first buck with a .243, but my kids will be shooting theirs with a 7-08.
    While I love my .243, I have to agree with Bitterroot on this one - especially if you live out west and want to move up to elk. I chose the .243 because I do quite a bit of varmint/predator hunting and I can drop down to a much smaller bullet. I think it's a better option for this kind of versatility, but you mentioned that your daughter shot her deer with a .223 so you already have coyotes covered. The 7/08 won't have much more recoil, but you could move up to shoot elk if you like. If you're just hunting deer and antelope I think they both would be great choices.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MOHunter View Post
    While I love my .243, I have to agree with Bitterroot on this one - especially if you live out west and want to move up to elk. I chose the .243 because I do quite a bit of varmint/predator hunting and I can drop down to a much smaller bullet. I think it's a better option for this kind of versatility, but you mentioned that your daughter shot her deer with a .223 so you already have coyotes covered. The 7/08 won't have much more recoil, but you could move up to shoot elk if you like. If you're just hunting deer and antelope I think they both would be great choices.
    Yes she would just be hunting Deer and Antelope. Elk will have to be a bigger caliber and much further down the road before she will be ready for that. I have a few 223 ARs that we use for dogs and that is what she used to shoot her Antelope with. 55 grain at 100 yards and dropped her in her tracks. Just what to move her up to a bigger caliber and keep the recoil low as possible. I like the 243 and the 25-06 but have been looking into some of the calibers that have been suggested too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would definitely go with the 7mm-08. My mom uses it for everything. She has killed elk, deer and antelope with it at distances over 300 yards. Real solid caliber.
    Bone Trail Posse

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I also agree with the 7mm-08, I bought my niece (12 years old) a new Savage Edge youth model, and made some reduced reloads shooting a 120 grn Nosler Ballistic tip at around 2800 fps. That rifle and load is super accurate, it shoots 3-shot half inch groups at 100 yards. The rifle and scope combo only cost approximately $350.00. She shot her first buck this past season with it and the bullet performed perfect, a one shot kill at 200 yards. I will load full power loads for her when she gets older and hunts bigger game.