Thanks

Thoughts about Colorado unit 74 or 82 archery mule deer hunt

Hello all,

My name is Samuel Diggle and I am new to this great forum. I am looking to get some thoughts about hunting in Colorado's unit 74 or 82 archery mule deer. I usually hunt late season wilderness rifle hunts in Idaho but have built 3 points in Colorado. My plan is to keep building points for a good rifle hunt in Colorado and draw a 2nd choice high country archery hunt in the meantime if possible. I am looking at units 74 or 82 but it looks like they might take a point or two to get drawn. I am willing to burn the points for one of these hunts if there is good potential for getting into the backcountry for some good bucks but would really like to keep building points if there are other wilderness bowhunting opportunities that I could get drawn on a second choice. Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Diggs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggsOutdoors View Post
    Hello all,

My name is Samuel Diggle and I am new to this great forum. I am looking to get some thoughts about hunting in Colorado's unit 74 or 82 archery mule deer. I usually hunt late season wilderness rifle hunts in Idaho but have built 3 points in Colorado. My plan is to keep building points for a good rifle hunt in Colorado and draw a 2nd choice high country archery hunt in the meantime if possible. I am looking at units 74 or 82 but it looks like they might take a point or two to get drawn. I am willing to burn the points for one of these hunts if there is good potential for getting into the backcountry for some good bucks but would really like to keep building points if there are other wilderness bowhunting opportunities that I could get drawn on a second choice. Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Diggs
    Sam,
    My parents have a cabin in Unit 65, just North of 74, and we have seen some huge bucks, monsters!, there north of Durango. The country is rugged, and you have to be ready for it, but an archery hunt there would be amazing!! I can't imagine a more beautiful place to hunt, and I know there are 200" bucks in there. Good Luck, whatever you decide to do!

Thanks
    I don't think you will have any luck on building points and still drawing a tag in a good archery unit. You are going to have to make hard choice! If you figure out how to build points and draw a 2nd choice archery deer tag in a good wilderness type unit will you share it with the rest of us on this site.

Thanks
    I have hunted 74, but only during elk season. Lots of really good country, but during elk season we didn't see many deer. I think they get pretty wary because of the elk hunters. During elk season there are a lot of outfitters and locals with stock who hit the backcountry pretty hard. This year I'll be hunting M/L elk in 71 just west of 74.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley