Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gettin fit

Hybrid View

Thanks

Gettin fit

I need to get in better shape for hunting this year.
    Anybody try to P90X program?
    Looks like it incorporates strength, flexibility and cardio. I'm 51 and in decent shape but need to step it up some.
    Recommendations?

Thanks
    I havent personally used P90X but I know a lot of people that have and they say it is amazing. They say it does take a lot of discipline.. But I think that if you want to be successful in any type of workout and see results you have to be disciplined.

Thanks
    My wife and I did the P90X program last year for almost 6 months and it was a good program for us. If you do what they say in the program and just do the best you can, the before and after pictures they show in the commercial are accurate in results. P90X was something we could do together as a couple and at home. The one part of the program we did not like as much was the Yoga part of the series but I'm sure it would have been good if we pushed ourselves and did that more.

Along with that on my own I carried a weighted pack at lunch on my break at lunch and walked for an hour. Like every workout it takes discipline and the more you put into it the better the results. I'd recommend P90X if you want to be able to do something at home. I have kids and helping them with homework, dinner and such, I wanted something I could do at home easy without having to go to a gym. With the new year starting again my wife and I will be on P90X again.

Thanks
    Crossfit. No question about it. Probably a Crossfit gym close to your town. Anybody can do it, once you get the technique, form, and philosophy you can do it from home. Crossfit.com is a good place to start.
    luck is when opportunity meets preparation...

Thanks
    P90X is an awesome workout. i did it for 2 cycles (6 months) and lost about 30 lbs. i burned out after that though. i now go to the gym for more variety
    Bone Trail Posse

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
    P90X is an awesome workout. i did it for 2 cycles (6 months) and lost about 30 lbs. i burned out after that though. i now go to the gym for more variety
    I know what you mean mtmuley. Hearing the same jokes, etc.... after 6 months on the DVD gets a bit rough. My wife and I have not tried turning off the voice and running with only the cues/music yet but I think we are getting close to on this round in the new year . We might have to look into buying one of those in house gyms soon to break up the routine a bit after this cycle is done.

Thanks
    I have used the P90X program with pretty decent results. I am younger than you and do the Double workout. It is two workouts a day with the first being the regular routine in the morning and the sencond either Kenpo, plyo, or cardio in the afternoon/evening. For me this gets me in the shape I want to be in to stay in the mountains hunting out of my pack instead of in and out day trips. I don't get much time during the week in the fall to hunt, only weekends and so I usually hike in Friday night and stay until Sunday night. Therefore, I need to be in "sheep shape" and the P90X program along with some hiking/trail running or mountain walks get me and keep me in shape. I would encourage you to follow the diet guidelines as well, use the supplements. Though I don't use the P90X supplements your local GNC will be able to steer you in the right direction. They make a difference! It takes a lot of dedication and effort to pull off the program but the rewards are definitely worth it! Best of luck on the fall hunt!

Thanks
    Did crossfitfootball with paleo diet two years ago and went from 235 to 200 in about two months while putting ~25 on my bench and ~20 on my squat. About a month ago I've moved onto main site but still miss crossfit football. Before getting pregnant my wife followed crossfit football and ended up setting USAPL raw national records for squat, deadlift and total pounds even after dropping weight.

www.crossfit.com
    www.crossfitfootball.com
    www.health-bent.com
    www.thefoodee.com

Thanks
    Run. Lift. Shoot. Everyday of the week. I try and mimic anything ill experience in the back country.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As Jon Boy This is what I do as well. I load my pack just like I would when I'm hunting, wear my hunting boots and hit the trails. I also like to get on the treadmill and stair stepper at home on the nights I can't get to the trail. This last year I started to ride my Mt bike on the trail and I'll tell you what, that is a workout! This year on my high country mule deer hunt I was in the best shape I've been in for years. I also have friends and family that does P90X and they have all said positive things about it. I prefer to work out by doing the same things I'm working out for, IE hunting.