Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gettin fit

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    http://solohunterstv.com/blog/genera...ery-challenge/

This is what we are doing on top of our regular exercise routine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    As Jon Boy This is what I do as well. I load my pack just like I would when I'm hunting, wear my hunting boots and hit the trails. I also like to get on the treadmill and stair stepper at home on the nights I can't get to the trail. This last year I started to ride my Mt bike on the trail and I'll tell you what, that is a workout! This year on my high country mule deer hunt I was in the best shape I've been in for years. I also have friends and family that does P90X and they have all said positive things about it. I prefer to work out by doing the same things I'm working out for, IE hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I copy alot of things cameron hanes does. Some ideas ive got from him are running with out socks on to toughen your feet up. Also running in the hottest part of the day with limited amount of water. Cant tell you how many times ive been on a stock during early archery and I drop my pack with all of my water thinking its gunna be a quick easy stalk, and 2.5 hours goes by with out any water waiting for the buck to stand up. This helps toughen your mind up.
    Hill sprints with a loaded pack on are great. I try and load my pack much heavier than what im expecting to actually carry on my hunts. This makes it that much easier when its game time. These are a few of the things I try and do.
    If I have some free time ill hit the gym or go grapple and spar at the local MMA gym

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I lifted weights in my early days, and managed a gym for a few years. Did some powerlifting, and my joints are paying for it now. I'm 69 now, and have changed my training to be specific for hunting. I live at 8000ft, and hunt at 11,500ft. So, the altitude doesn't bother me like it would someone living at lower altitudes.

I try and peak for my fall hunts. I hike/scout about 250 days a year. All altitudes from where I live to where I hunt. I start in the early spring with more level hikes, and progressively make them steeper and steeper. Around July I start to carry a pack and my gun. Peaking in August-Sept with the weight in the pack to equal carrying out the meat. I just do light exercises for the upper body to keep some muscle tone. Elk hunting is all about the legs and lungs. Doing a 400lb bench won't help you climb that mountain.

Of course diet is important. I keep my balanced and as natural as possible. I also don't carry all the body weight I did when I was young either. I'm 6'1" an d 175 lbs now. Quite a bit lighter than my powerlifting 265lb when I was young. Bodyweight is just more that I have to drag up the mountain.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lift, run, hike, bike, repeat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 for me just like bitteroot and dont forget shooting of the bow everyday at least i try to shoot everyday

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Getting fit sux! haha.

I'm with ya on the needing to get fit.

Honestly I kinda had a revelation, I was hiking with a pack in years past etc..., after doing the same loop a few times, same hill, up down up down etc... I was bored, I could keep going, and needed to, but was so bored.

I've always enjoyed running, though haven't in years, my plan is to just get back into running. I'd lose weight, increase my endurance. Even if I never strap on a pack, I'd be stronger than before, I might throw on the pack occasionally and weigh it down and climb some hills etc... just to get accustomed to the weight of a pack, but my main plan is the running.

My suggestions is find something you enjoy, whether that's a basketball league at the local gym, or whatever, swimming, I find an activity is much easier and more fun, than forcing yourself to do some workout you don't enjoy.

p90x will certainly work if you do it, and stick with it, but if you end up dreading the workouts etc... and only doing 1 a week, that won't cut it!

btw let's say im 200lbs, and I lose 20lbs, and strap on that 20lb pack, im back to the same weight i was before, and now I'm stronger and have more endurance, that's a win-win IMO! That's essentially like walking around with no pack before but now I have more strength/endurance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started going to the gym and started running Jan. 31st 2011 dropped 50lbs ran 2 marathons in Dec. 2011 just over 700 miles ran started this year off with running Jan. 8th will cont. running may try running an ultra distance this year it helped a lot chasing Elk in the wilderness of Colorado got my first Bull in Oct.2011 DIY Back pack hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just picked up the p90x dvd's for christmas and tried a few of the workouts. I havent exercised since hunting and the p90x workouts are a little much now. Im doing some general conditioning for the next week or so before I go back to the p90x. I think it will be more fun after a few weeks warming up.