Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gettin fit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    If you want to see an inspiring hunter and a guy who works out in order to hunt. Check out this clip by Cameron Hanes. Very Motivating! Train Hard, Hunt Easy

Beast Mode Training & Hunting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W05aL...1&feature=plcp
    Looks like Nate Simmons and Cam are hanging out. Anybody know if they are planning on getting together and starting something?
    I recognized long ago that if I have a warehouse full of guns, but no public land or public wildlife, I have nothing!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ceby7 View Post
    Looks like Nate Simmons and Cam are hanging out. Anybody know if they are planning on getting together and starting something?
    I noticed that as well and I sure hope so.

Thanks
    I approach fitness on a different level that a lot of you. I am 70 years old, a former college football player and lifelong hunter/outdoorsman. I had a very successful career and had little time for excersize. I let my weight get up to 300# at one time. I retired at 58 and moved to Colorado and started to really get a handle on my fitness. I saw my Dr, went to a local gym and hired a personal trainer so I could get started and set realistic goals. After several years my weight was down to 230 and I was working out every day. I concentrate on stretching/flexibility and cardio. Don't do much weight training as I am pretty muscular and don't need it. I spend about 1 1/2 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week at the gym. Up to I/2 hour stretching/flex (depends on how I feel), 1 hr on the treadmiull (I use hill climb mode) and finish with 10/15 mins on the eliptical trainer. During the summer (as a buildup to hunting season), I cut my gym time down to 45 mins 4 to 5 time/wk and do a lot of hiking and walking I don't do any running/jogging as I have e replacement knee and my Dr recommends against it. I usually walk 5 miles that has uphill/downhill. I live within 1/2 hour of some great mt hiking trails.

My goal is to get down to 200#. Last fall to celebrate my 70th BD, I went on a wilderness elk trip that had a 33 mile 9+ hour horseback ride just to get to camp.I had a blast and kept up with all the guys 1/2 my age!. Everyone needs to tailor a workout program to fit THEM. Spend some of your $$$ to at least get started with a personal trainer and most of all, see your Dr first and tell him/her what you are planning to do.

Just my opinion...from an old (mountain) goat!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    In order to stay fit I take a kettlebell class 3 times a week which focuses on strength, flexibility and endurance while using principles of P90x of muscle confusion. It is a total body workout and different each class. It also incorporates functional strength and not building muscle just for looks. I also eat well and don't go a day without my juiceplus. I try to eat a diet of mainly fruits vegetables and lean meats while also striving to achieve a diet high in fiber. I will also run ,swim, hike and do other workouts 1 to 2 times a week.