Thanks

Non Insulated gortex hunting Boots are there any out there worth it

looking for feedback on different brands. In my research it appears that the vast majority of gortex boots are not what they use to be. I am not sure if its because they are all made in china or what. For a while I was buying a new pair every year until I settled on the Cabela's Pinacles which I loved till this year. We moved to a different area in Colorado elk hunting and got rained on every day. 4 pairs of Pinacles 1 Danner 1 Wolverine Antelope and 1 Danner hiker. All were tried all got soaked they are all gortex and were not treated with silicone which I know would help. My point is I have about 500 into boots in the last 8 years or so which opens the door to premium boots but I want some proof before switching. In our previous area it was always dry so it wasn't that important but I don't want to go thru another season like that again. Looking for recomendations on good choices that keep you dry and hopefully are still light. Also if they are made in the USA which may be part of the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can't go wrong with Lowa Tibets. I have 3 pairs of Lowa and they are hands down the best boots I've ever owned! As with any boot you have to wax them to keep them water proof and it also helps keep the leather in good condition for years. I have 2 pairs of the insulated Sheep Hunters and they are just as great of a boot as well. I wax mine before every hunt I go on so 3-4 times a year and have never had any issues with water getting in. Lowa used to be made in Italy when I bought mine. Not sure if it has changed. I got mine in 2006
    Last edited by Ikeepitcold; 01-11-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks
    I don't care for Gore Tex, due to its limited breathability. I have had excellent results with eVent. I have two years of hard use on my Kayland Vertigo Highs, and they have never leaked.

http://en.kayland.com/details.php?id=43

They are pretty light, have excellent support, and breath noticeably better than my Gore Tex boots.

Thanks
    Switched to boots and gloves this year with outdry...

Much better, goretex is just a booty in a boot.. outdry is a construction solution bonds the membrane to the fabric.

Thanks
    I have a pair of Zamberlan 8 inch hikers. They're hands down the best boots I've ever worn.

Thanks
    I have a pair of uninsulated Cabela's Active Trail Hikers with the Gortex for my light hiking and backpacking with less than 50 lbs packs. It does not have all that much, ankle or arch support but for me I don't need/like much support unless I have a heavy load to carry. It's more of a summer footwear for me where I want some traction but lightweight and flexible. I wear and hike with them pretty much daily. I've gone thru a pair now, only after wearing the soles out after a couple years. The Gortex or waterproof on them I've found does wear out after a season of wearing them daily. That has been the biggest downer on the footwear. My search continues on something similar that remains waterproof for years and breaths without having to treat it often.

For the heavy pack, 50 lbs+/cold weather/wet stuff I use Lowa Hunter Extremes with Lathrop & Sons inserts. I'm trying to keep them waterproof as long as I can, treating them and putting on seam sealer on the seams to keep them waterproof.