Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Sheep Unit Besides The Breaks?

My dream of all dreams was to draw a sheep tag for the Missouri River Breaks. But, am I overlooking other great units that could be drawn sooner? I have heard Unit 424 is 'supposed' to be the next best. Your thoughts...
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My thoughts are what is the difference between a <1% chance and a 1.5% chance of drawing?

Not much.

If you are shooting for the best, the breaks are it. It is almost a foregone conclusion the next world record will come out of those units.

Just about every LE unit in Montana will produce a B&C ram. Every LE unit also has terrible draw odds.

It is a hope and prayer for any unit, so you might as well choose the one you want the most.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I haven't looked at any draw odds because I'm really not planning on applying for anything other than 680. It would take A LOT of convincing to steer me from that unit.

I was bored, and noticed there wasn't much MT sheep discussion. So, I thought I'd start some.

So, in your opinion, the best units besides the breaks are..?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    680, 482, and 622 get top honors. Even a quick look at the record book tells the tale. These units have 200 inch sheep.

After that you get to 216 and 210, but they got the cough recently, and aren't quite up where they were. My next best would be 122 and 124.

In my neighborhood, 261 and 270 have decent trophy quality, too, but the cough hit them bad recently. These two units have a lower high end than the others mentioned above.

It is hard to find a bad LE unit in MT. Utah has big bull elk. Colorado has big mulie bucks. Montana has the monster rams, no doubt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've heard of your monster rams, that's why I'm applying there

But realistically, I don't see myself getting a B&C ram. A respectable, mature ram will do. (When and IF I draw a tag.)

Is there any way to guess how many points a NR needs to draw a LE unit?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Elkoholic307 there is no true bonus point system for Montana. You can apply for bonus points but all that does is give you an extra chance the next year. Like Bitteroot Bulls says the breaks is the best. Down in our neck of the woods the sheep have been hammered with the cough.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    Having worked up in the Rock Creek (210,216) area for 4 summers, it sure sucked when the "cough" hit there. I took a group of guys on a sheep hike up there every month for the past 4 summers. 3 years ago we counted 72 rams in one day all within 500 yards during the day. The largest 5 we saw easily broke the 180 mark, and 1 true beauty i believe would have pushed the 200 milestone. It was just great getting out and seeing rams of that quality. Last year I found about 10 rams in three different hikes through the summer, and none were of the high quality. I did hear the older rams really took a bad hit with the pneumonia. Unfortunate to lose a place that grew record book rams within 6 years of age....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    Having worked up in the Rock Creek (210,216) area for 4 summers, it sure sucked when the "cough" hit there. I took a group of guys on a sheep hike up there every month for the past 4 summers. 3 years ago we counted 72 rams in one day all within 500 yards during the day. The largest 5 we saw easily broke the 180 mark, and 1 true beauty i believe would have pushed the 200 milestone. It was just great getting out and seeing rams of that quality. Last year I found about 10 rams in three different hikes through the summer, and none were of the high quality. I did hear the older rams really took a bad hit with the pneumonia. Unfortunate to lose a place that grew record book rams within 6 years of age....
    mntnguide,

A total of 5 rams 199 and higher have come out of those units, including the state record 204 7/8 ram taken by James Weatherly in 1993. All but one of them were taken in 1992-1994, which was the heyday of those units. They will come back, but not for a few more years.

Elkoholic307,

If you draw a 680 tag, you better see yourself getting a Booner. A 180 plus sheep wouldn't be too hard to come by. A 190 ram is a reasonable expectation.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    190 is hard for me to wrap my mind around, but very good to know that it's a definite possibility.

I drove up to the hi-line yesterday morning and came back home through the breaks in the afternoon. Probably shouldn't have since it just made me really excited. That is some awesome country though. I kind of wish there was a way to 'predict' when you'll draw like Wyoming's system.

By the way, it was 60 degrees in Havre yesterday. Crazy!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    190 is hard for me to wrap my mind around, but very good to know that it's a definite possibility.

I drove up to the hi-line yesterday morning and came back home through the breaks in the afternoon. Probably shouldn't have since it just made me really excited. That is some awesome country though. I kind of wish there was a way to 'predict' when you'll draw like Wyoming's system.

By the way, it was 60 degrees in Havre yesterday. Crazy!
    There is a hidden secret in the land of giant rams. One that if you find you will not believe it is true. Bitterroot Bulls may know but this is definitely not the place to discuss. I found it, from a little tip after a successful applicant. No monster but I got to live the dream.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-17 125d.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	2335