Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is that a riddle?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I know that the Gallatin Range is not known for monster Rams, and I just want to say that is true. I was there a few years back with my buddy on this goat hunt. We saw two bands of sheep, and two total rams. Both not even half curl, and the one that I got close enough to to count rings was 4.5 years old, and not greater than a half curl. I know this doesn't help, but I was board, and I hope this helps you out from NOT putting in for this unit. And yes we covered some ground. Good goats though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Firearrow,

The Southern end of the Gallatin Range is an unlimited tag. If you put in for it, you are a sheep hunter. The trophy quality is not like the rest of Montana, but the hunter opportunity is exceptional. The rams have to be 3/4 curl to be legal, and the season closes when the low quotas (2 in 2011) are met. If you don't mind putting it all on the line for a short hunt, and aren't looking for a big ram, it is an option. the Northern end of the Gallatin Range is limited with only one tag. Trophy quality is lower here also, but you wouldn't be crowded with other sheep hunters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Our first spot was the south Easter ish portion of the unit. This is where we saw the sheep. We were focused on goats. Found two billies treat we're right at ten inches. Never got a shot damn snow storm came and blew us off the mountain. Other spot was just north of the park. Saw no sheep, but a few sheep hunters, with lots of nannies, and kids. My buddy arrowed the only good billy we were able to find. He did it on the last weekend of the season too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    Is that a riddle?
    Lol... It does sound like one after reading it Sorry didn't mean to sound like a a$$

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I didn't think you sounded like one, haha. Do I have to draw a tag first to learn the hidden secret or is there an easier way?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Firearrow,

The Southern end of the Gallatin Range is an unlimited tag. If you put in for it, you are a sheep hunter. The trophy quality is not like the rest of Montana, but the hunter opportunity is exceptional. The rams have to be 3/4 curl to be legal, and the season closes when the low quotas (2 in 2011) are met. If you don't mind putting it all on the line for a short hunt, and aren't looking for a big ram, it is an option. the Northern end of the Gallatin Range is limited with only one tag. Trophy quality is lower here also, but you wouldn't be crowded with other sheep hunters.
    I havnt heard of this before so forgive me for my ignorance. Does this mean everyone who applies gets a tag but theres a very small quota so it ends in a day or 2?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jon Boy, for that unit everyone that does apply gets a tag. The quota usually closes the first day of the season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Boy View Post
    I havnt heard of this before so forgive me for my ignorance. Does this mean everyone who applies gets a tag but theres a very small quota so it ends in a day or 2?
    You hunt this differently than you would hunt any other hunt... You scout all season, then when the it comes to the opening day (Sept 15th), you take a week off. You "hunt" 5 days before the season, bivy every day, once you locate a ram, you stay with him, keep your distance, a mile or so, then the last evening, once it's dark, you move in, 1,000 yards or so, bivy, and then hope he is doing the same thing you've watched him do for the previous few days. You weeks worth of hunting only allows you to pull the trigger 1 or 2 days. The mental discipline will be the greatest challenge. the 1st and 2nd day you feel you are the luckiest man in the world, by the 4th day of hardly moving out of your seat and looking through glass I promise you are the most board individual on the planet, then the emotional roller coaster of the 5th day, the day before it opens, almost seems impossible to bare.

It's not rocket science but for some reason very few people hunt it properly... And oh yeah, you have to hope that 1 of the 1,000 people who arrive the day before to "scout" don't bump your ram

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dam that sounds like my kind of hunt! haha Ill have to look into it. Is there much wilderness to it and are there weapon restrictions?