Thread: Seating depth

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seating depth

Anybody have any info on finding seating depth without using a gauge? Its the one thing I have not had any luck doing while reloading. I have a Ruger No.1 in 338 and a savage 111 in 270 and a Howa 25.06 that I am reloading for.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    what i have done in the past is take a empty case and a hacksaw and cut into the neck about a 1/16" then barely put the bullet of your choice in, feed it in your action the bullet will then touch the lands and be pushed into that case. then take out the case carfully messure the over all length. i usally will subtract .005-.010
    Last edited by 300Weatherby; 01-03-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Take all of the bullet crimp out and load a bullet long, use a sharpie to paint the bullet, load it in the chamber, look for where the sharpie is removed, that is where it touches the lands, load your bullet deeper and resharpie the bullet and keep doing that until you are just barely touching your lands. That is your bullet depth to lands. You might have to use 2-4 different bullets and cases. Then you adjust from there for accuracy. Every gun is different.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also you can use brass that has been used and before resizing the neck you can put a bullet in and barley seat it when u chamber bullet it will seat it the rest of the depth than subtract .005-.010 off oal than you can adjust as needed

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I've been reloading for 40 years. Do your self a favor and buy a stony point comparator and a modified case for each cal you have. Way less time in setting up your oal bullet length and great repeatability.