Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming limited entry draw

I have a question maybe someone could help with.

I have max preference points in Wyoming for elk. I have read that Wyoming considers everybody's first choice of units first, prior to looking at anybodies second choice.

If you have max points, do they look at all of the max points applicants and if the unit you want is taken when your name is drawn, do they move on to the name applicant, and you are basically in the random draw for your later choices? Or do you still have an advantage? Do the max points only favor your first choice of units?

I was always under the assumption that if your name gets drawn, they look at your first choice, if it is full they consider your second choice and so on, and then they move to the next name drawn. Am I incorrect in this thinking?

Any clarification would be helpful.
    Jerry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 4 Posts
    They take everyone with the most points that applied for the area and do a random draw out of that for your first choice, if you are unsucsessful in your first choice they award you another preference point and move on to second choice which would be a random draw since you dont use any points, same with third choice. so basically the only way you can lose your max points is if you draw your first choice. dont know if this helped let me know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, thanks. I didn't know quite how I should have played my cards here. I've been applying to an almost impossible unit for my first choice and hoped I get the second or third choice keeping my points for the future. Sounds like I am defeating the purpose of the point system, if I really want to hunt here. Basically its a random draw after the first choice. Thanks, again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So if you apply in a limited entry unit first choice can you apply in a general area second choice with any chance of drawing the general tag? With my points(3) a good limited tag is a far bet but would still like to hunt in Wyoming with out burning points. Thanks for any help!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "So if you apply in a limited entry unit first choice can you apply in a general area second choice with any chance of drawing the general tag? With my points(3) a good limited tag is a far bet but would still like to hunt in Wyoming with out burning points. Thanks for any help!"

I would like to know the answer to this as well. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It is my understanding that they look at your first choice first. The people with Max points are in a special pool, that gets drawn from first prior to the random draw. (no references to special permits here). They try to fill your first request. If the unit you applied for no longer has tags available when you are drawn, then you are entered into the random draw. For example, if in unit 32 there are 4 tags and you entered unit 32 as your first choice, and four other guys drawn before you have requested this unit, then you are no longer in the Max point draw, and they put you into the random draw. This is what I don't know, if you have max points and get tossed into the random draw, do you have 6 entries in the random draw as apposed to one? Once you enter the random draw, they look at your other choices when drawn. Every bodies first choice is considered before anybodies second choice is considered. If you use your first choice and are drawn regardless of when, you lose your points. Once every-bodies first choices are considered, they keep drawing in the random draw, looking at second choices, then third etc...As long as you don't get your first choice, you will save your points. I would pick a low percentage odds unit as your first choice, if it gets drawn, great, but it's not likely. You won't lose your points from there on out when drawn. If general is good enough for you, then you should put it second. I like to put a lesser unit with better odds second, and on down the list, so when there are fewer tags available, if I am drawn there may be some still available in these lesser units. I made a big mistake last year and thinking the max points draw carried into the later draws and my 2-4th choices weren't in the random draw. My second and third choices actually offered Zero tags in the random draw. If you look at Eastmans MRS and at elk unit 22 for last year, you had zero odds of drawing that unit with anything less than max point. It was a zero because no tags were available for the random draw after the max point and special draw were over. Same for 32. Those were my second and third choices, and they offered no tags in the random draw, so if my name was drawn twice, it didn't matter as the units I had picked were basically sold out and I got tossed back in for later draws. I am not an expert, so if anybody wants to chime in, go ahead. This is just my understanding as I made mistakes in the past 6 years.
    Last edited by BobcatJerry; 01-19-2012 at 10:57 AM.