Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have never hunted elk before...

But I want to in the worst way! Looking for any info that I can get from you seasoned elk hunters. I'm really looking for as much info as I can get. I have a few videos from Elknut and a book from CH on bivy hunting. Maybe a good state to hunt to cut my teeth on. Any elk will do

Thanks
    Congratulations
    you might want to think about a place where you can get an over the counter tag. if it is your first time you don't want to waste points (if you have any) if you have never been elk hunting before. might be good to go once or twice and get the feel of things and build a few points so when you have a better idea of what is going on you can put in for a better unit. one thing to remember is in those units Colorado for example the over the counter units usually have ppl running all over the place 90% of them are road hunters in the rifle season. so get off the beaten path and you will have a better chance. if you are going with a bow and are going to try and call bulls, remember that they have probably heard every call out there a hundred times. if you can get in and kill him without calling is your best bet. the older bulls get smart quick! if they get called in and don't get killed they get call shy. hope this helps

Thanks
    Congratulations
    DIY is awesome, but sometimes it is good to cut your teeth on elk with someone who has years of experience under their belt. We did our first few years with an outfitter on Public Land, and I think my learning curve was much faster than it would have been if I had tried to do it on my own. Otherwise, the Elknut videos, CDs, and the Playbook are some of the very best resources in the industry.

If you have any chance to do some pre-season scouting, it will greatly boost your odds of success. If you are willing to go where most people are unwilling, especially in OTC pressured units, you will most likely find elk. When you find them, pay close attention to how they are responding, "tune in" to what is going on, and adjust your game accordingly. This is something that is going to get in your blood, and will not go away, so be prepared for the addiction!

Best of Luck
    Jeff

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info. I only bow hunt (by choice) So it will be archery season that I'll go. I may have to go with a guide. Don't have any friends that hunt elk. Hope to find someone that will want to start though. I do have the Elknut dvds but plan to get the play book. It is starting to sound like Co will be one of my best choices. Any good guids out there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Beetleguy,
    The guy we used to go with is retired now. He was a real mentor to me, he bugled in my first bull inside 8 yards my very first season. Since then, I have taken 7 in 10 seasons in Colorado, so I think I've had pretty good success.

A lot of Bowsiters are based in Colorado, so Bowsite might be a place to start looking for Outfitters. I'm sure you can get some great deals in some good areas, considering the economy.

Here is a pic of my first bull

Best of Luck,
    Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first bull.jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Jeff

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry to hear of your new ailment. I'm sure there is some sort of medication that you could take or an ointment of sorts that might get rid of it. I also have a terminal case of elk fever. I didn't treat it like I should have once I was diagnosed and let it fester. It elevated to my current status very quickly. I can remeber it like it was yesterday. I bugled for the first time in the wilderness at about 10K elev right at the end of the day. Immediately I had a bull respond. Later that year I was fortunate enough to arrow a cow at 8 yrds.

Since then I've sunk countless dollars into the disease for upgraded gear. Lost weeks of work due to flare ups. I also can't concentrate worth a darn. So be forewarned, and welcome to the club!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by anglinarcher View Post
    Sorry to hear of your new ailment. I'm sure there is some sort of medication that you could take or an ointment of sorts that might get rid of it. I also have a terminal case of elk fever. I didn't treat it like I should have once I was diagnosed and let it fester. It elevated to my current status very quickly. I can remeber it like it was yesterday. I bugled for the first time in the wilderness at about 10K elev right at the end of the day. Immediately I had a bull respond. Later that year I was fortunate enough to arrow a cow at 8 yrds.

Since then I've sunk countless dollars into the disease for upgraded gear. Lost weeks of work due to flare ups. I also can't concentrate worth a darn. So be forewarned, and welcome to the club!
    That's what I'm talk'n about!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When do you want to start, and what are your expectations? If you just want the experience of elk hunting with a bow to get started I recommend a cow hunt. They are usually far cheaper and easier to get. Pretty much any state becomes an option. If I had the time you could join me this year, but I have friends from back east with me this year. Start building up some points so that when you are really serious high demand units may become an option.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    I say go with a cow hunt the first year or two. In co the cow tags are way cheaper and if you hunt the right area the tags are over the counter for cows and bulls. Depending on where you are Or has over the counter tags not a trophy state though and bow tags can still be bought otc. For me gas plays a big part on where to go I'm in Nv and can drive to Or in 5 hours so i can hunt a couple of times and animals. Also most states have deer seasons going the same time find a friend to go hunt deer
    Last edited by nv-hunter; 03-04-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added info