Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Well, it came off nicely today. The screws came out easy (thanks to plenty of release agent). I put a block of wood against the back of the base. A sharp, short tap with a hammer, and it popped right off. The receiver was completely untouched. Looked like new. I totally forgot to take a pic of the bedded pads before mounting the rings and scope. Sorry. I would take it apart and take a photo, but I have it all like I wanted it, and troqued to spec. The base is completely true. I checked the TPS rings for contact, to see if I needed to lap or bed them, but nope, 100% contact. I think a whole lot of people could save lapping their rings if they bedded their bases.

I will be doing this again soon to another rifle, and might take step-by-step photos, if anyone is interested in seeing them ... and I remember to take them.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 01-16-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for all the helpful advice guys! It sounds like there are plenty of ways to do it.
    Bitterroot : I would like to see some pics of the next one you do. Also what do you mean by "lapping rings"?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ORBucksBullsBears5 View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful advice guys! It sounds like there are plenty of ways to do it.
    Bitterroot : I would like to see some pics of the next one you do. Also what do you mean by "lapping rings"?
    Oh we have alot to teach you. The best way to see what lapping is is YouTube it. I am sure there are plenty of videos out there most likely.

Lapping is making the scope rings perfectly or as close to perfectly round, they can be oval shaped but not realize it. It ensures constant and consistent contact with your scope. It also doesn't put stress on your scope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ORBucksBullsBears5 View Post
    I will try to remember to get those pics. I might just make a video, and post it.

Lapping rings involves using a lapping tool and paste abrasive to remove small amounts of material from the contact surfaces of the rings, so that most of the ring surface contacts the scope tube, providing the most secure hold and reducing unwanted stress on the scope.

Most quality rings are machined to tight tolerances, and don't require lapping on their own, but two part bases are rarely installed in perfect alignment, due to inaccuracy in the drilling and tapping of the receiver. This hole misalignment can also cause one piece bases to twist or warp to conform to the receiver holes, which causes the rings to go out of alignment, and require lapping.

Bedding a one piece base minimizes or eliminates receiver hole misalignment, and proper ring alignment follows. You can bed two piece bases in alignment by using a jig designed to align the bases, like a TPS "basebed" system.

http://www.basebed.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok, that makes sense. I realize that I have a lot to learn about all the technical things having to do with rifles which is why I ask the questions to make sure I do it right. I've spent most of my time with archery equipment, which is why I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I didn't mean it to sound mean. I'm sorry man if I made it seem that way.

Here are the things I do to every rifle I build for myself or my friends/family. Now this is what I think is minimum necessary to build an accurate rifle, it is my opinion and some other peoples may differ. Right, wrong, indifferent.

Trigger-30-32oz. That is my preferance, a little light for most people I know.

Bed the action. On my weapons I buy a new stock with a full length bedding block if money is there to do it. If not I will install pillars at the very minimum.

Bed(procedure mentioned above) the scope base, I also buy one piece bases, that is my preference because it is one piece and obviously one piece is stronger than two pieces. I also bed it like I do because once I mount the base, I am never going to take it off, there is no reason.

Lap the rings for the above mentioned reasons.

I also bed the trigger guard.

I torque everything and I write down what everything is torqued to so I repeat the specs if I ever break it down.

Last but not least is brew up the perfect load choosing the bullet first.

Hope this helps, I know a lot of people do not do what I do but it works for me and sure as heck beats the big price tag I have seen on custom guns. I know that having an extremely accurate rifle is not a priority for most,shooting a stock gun and factory ammo is perfectly suitable, I mean really if you shoot 1 moa groups that is more than enough inside 300-400 yards in my book. Building accurate rifles is a hobby to me and I am passionate about it. I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    Don't feel bad ORBBB5, i'm taking notes right along with you. Very good thread I'm learning alot myself. DRHP & BB thanks for being generous with your knowledge of these techniques. Like I stated before, all I've ever done is use the Leupold rings and bases and have never had problems, but have never really read into it as far as you guys, and it makes total sense to me. Is all this necessary to have an accurate rifle, probably not, but I see how it can eliminate many factors that can make an OK gun shoot that much better. Lets just say you guys might be getting some pm's from me on how to do mine...thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Don't feel bad ORBBB5, i'm taking notes right along with you. Very good thread I'm learning alot myself. DRHP & BB thanks for being generous with your knowledge of these techniques. Like I stated before, all I've ever done is use the Leupold rings and bases and have never had problems, but have never really read into it as far as you guys, and it makes total sense to me. Is all this necessary to have an accurate rifle, probably not, but I see how it can eliminate many factors that can make an OK gun shoot that much better. Lets just say you guys might be getting some pm's from me on how to do mine...thanks
    The secret custom gunmakers don't want you to know is that just about any factory rifle is capable of custom-level accuracy with a little work.

1. Properly bed the action in the stock.
    2. Properly adjust the trigger.
    3. True the action surfaces.
    4. Properly mount the sighting optic.
    5. Find an accurate load.

If these steps are taken with precision, you would be surprised what your rifle is capable of. 1,4, and 5 can be undertaken by just about anyone that is careful in how they approach a task. Unless you are a precision machinist, leave 3 to a qualified gunsmith. If you have a user-adjustable trigger you can do number 2 as well, but if it needs stoning/polishing head back to your smith.

Of course, the disclaimer applies! Attempt at your own risk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Drhp don't worry I didn't take it that way. I realize that I don't know that much about it and want to do it the best way to maximize the potential of my gun which is why I appreciate all the help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Allright guys,

I bedded a rail on my Model 7 today. I filmed the process and will cut a Youtube video of it. After I had it done and ready to cure, I though, "Why not?" and bedded the rings to my scope also. I need video of breaking them from the epoxy tomorrow, but then I will get the video together.