Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    can you get more adjustment on eye relief with a rail system? On the vortex scope i recently mounted on my 06 I have it all the way back and still don't get the full view clear on the scope, i have to move forward.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    can you get more adjustment on eye relief with a rail system? On the vortex scope i recently mounted on my 06 I have it all the way back and still don't get the full view clear on the scope, i have to move forward.
    Jay,

Rails do provide the most flexible options for mounting a scope for proper eye relief, among other advantages.

However, if you are having trouble getting the scope back far enough towards your eye, that is often due to having a stock with too long a length of pull (LOP). If this is the case, a good stockworking gunsmith can do some measuring and cut down your stock to an optimum LOP.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bitterroot,

Thats a great video, thanks for posting it. I am going to be mounting my base that way. This will be saving me a lot of trouble because this weekend I was tinkering around with my gun(rem 700) and my nightforce base and found out that the top of the action isn't true. At first i was wondering if it was the base so i took it to a friends machining shop and its perfect. With the base on my gun and using a level the bubble was on opposite sides when going from the front of the base to the rear of the base. My friend has the same gun and we put the base on his to check for the same problem but it was perfect. I've heard of remingtons having this problem.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ORBucksBullsBears5 View Post
    Bitterroot,

Thats a great video, thanks for posting it. I am going to be mounting my base that way. This will be saving me a lot of trouble because this weekend I was tinkering around with my gun(rem 700) and my nightforce base and found out that the top of the action isn't true. At first i was wondering if it was the base so i took it to a friends machining shop and its perfect. With the base on my gun and using a level the bubble was on opposite sides when going from the front of the base to the rear of the base. My friend has the same gun and we put the base on his to check for the same problem but it was perfect. I've heard of remingtons having this problem.
    You're right. It is a common problem, with a lot of makes, but more often with Rems. Your problem (twisting the rail) is more of a bugger than others (receiver hole spacing). You are going to want to use very little torque when bedding the rail. This will keep you from just bedding the rail with the twist. Finger tight with the short end of the wrench should do it. Make sure to check the rail with your levels before letting the epoxy cure.

Good luck, and remember, my disclaimer applies!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I decided to call remington about the problem and they emailed me a prepaid label so i could send the gun back to them to fix the holes. Once i get it back i will mount the base. Hopefully it won't take them very long to fix.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I decided to call remington about the problem and they emailed me a prepaid label so i could send the gun back to them to fix the holes. Once i get it back i will mount the base. Hopefully it won't take them very long to fix.
    That's good customer service. Right on!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is great!

Of course you will still definitely want to bed the rail, as the only way they can fix the holes is to weld, heat treat, grind, polish, drill, and tap for the new holes. The new holes will certainly be square to the bore, and in line, but the dimesions of the receiver surface are going to be less than perfect due to the grinding and polishing process.

Keep us updated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So they tried to deliver my gun yesterday which makes it a 2 week 6 day turn around since I first mailed it. From what I understand they put a new action on it and said I was getting my muzzle break back. Hopefully that means it's the same barrel and break on a new action but I guess I'll find out tonight. I had to pay ups a $5 for change of delivery because I work mon-fri 8-5 so I'm having I delivered somewhere else so it can get signed for.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So here's what's going on, I got my gun back and the first thing I noticed is that they sent me a cometely different action and barrel which the action needed to be replaced but the barrel did not so now I'm out $200 for the muzzle break. They did return it in a bag but I would have to pay for reinstallation. Next thing I noticed is that the the barrel is dirty/greasy. So I decided to look a little closer and found several spots of RUST. This is redicolous! So I call and they tell me that there can't be rust on the gun. Do they think I was kidding? They tell me it'll take over a month to get a new one back because they are on back order and a month and a half for a refund after they evaluate it. So I decided to send it back to get a refund as long as they don't try and screw me over more. Guess I'm going archery for spring bear.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll post some pics later