Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best procedure for mounting a base?

I was just hoping for some input on the best/correct way to mount a base to an action? I've heard things about using loctite, but also to be careful because there are certain kinds that are better than others. I figured it would be best to start my own thread. Thanks for the help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well if u don't ever want to take ur base off, use red loc tite, blue loc tite, u can normally get loose

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.750203,-105.389054

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The cheapest way to do a good job is to epoxy them together if you are never going to take them off. Take a dremel and cut small "x"s into te top of your action, do the same to bottom of your base, then epoxy them together and screw it down.

The BEST way to do it is epoxy and use roll pins to secure your bases, or just roll pins, that involves taking your bases and action to a smith and Having them do machining.

I do the epoxy and dremel thing. It's cheaper and easier.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another good way is to bed the base with epoxy. It is similar to Dr. Horsepower's method, but does not require scoring the receiver, and the base can later be removed easily. Nice if you ever want to sell the rifle.

Step-by-step:

1. Remove action from rifle and place in a vise.

2. Degrease the base and receiver area completely with non-chlorine brake cleaner.

3. Tape the entire action with painters tape everywhere you don't want epoxy to get. Leave the portion of the receiver where the base will contact exposed.

4. Apply a good layer of release agent (Kiwi neutral shoe polish is a good one) to the exposed part of the receiver. Apply it to the inside of the screw holes. Cover the mounting screws as well. Polish the receiver to a shiny surface, leaving a thin, even layer.

5. Rough up the contact areas of the base with heavy sandpaper or light dremel work.

6. Mix your epoxy (Devcon Steel, Marine-Tex, JB Weld, etc.) according to the instructions (mix for a long time) and apply a thin, even layer to your base surface. Make sure to stay a little awayfrom the holes in the receiver.

7. Place the base on the release agent treated receiver surface. Use the mounting screws as indexing tools only. Screw in the mounting screws just enough to find resistance. Do not torque.

8. Excess epoxy will flow out the sides. Clean this up with q-tips and WD-40 as it comes out. When it no longer comes out, you are ready to wait.

9. Wait 24 hours. After 24 hours, remove the screws, and tap the base with a peace of wood. It will pop off, and the bottom of the base will be a perfect match to the receiver surface. There will be no damage to the receiver.

Disclaimer:

I am not a gunsmith. This is how I do it. There are no guarantees. You might glue your base to your receiver. You might get epoxy somewhere you did not want to. There are other ways. Attempt at your own risk!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh yeah, same disclaimer for me too!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The most I've ever done to a base is Blue Loctite if even that...all I use are Leupold bases and rings and have NEVER had a scope come loose. The epoxy process would obviously be stronger than what I do, but I have not had any problems...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    The most I've ever done to a base is Blue Loctite if even that...all I use are Leupold bases and rings and have NEVER had a scope come loose. The epoxy process would obviously be stronger than what I do, but I have not had any problems...
    For me, it isn't about having the scope coming loose. It is about stress-free mounting for maximum consistency, in any condition. Base mounting holes in receivers are not often perfectly aligned, especially on Remingtons. The mounting surfaces on the receiver and the base aren't a perfect match either. Bedding the base remedies these problems, and minimizes the torque on your scope, which maximizes its performance as well.

You don't need to do this to get good performance out of your rifle, but it helps maximize your rifle's consistent, reliable accuracy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I also only use Leupold bases and scopes. I have used super glue to lock everything together and screws can be removed and bases too without any damage.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bedded an EGW rail on my Savage 110 project today with Devcon bedding compound. I'll post a pic if I can if I can get it off the receiver tomorrow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    For me, it isn't about having the scope coming loose. It is about stress-free mounting for maximum consistency, in any condition. Base mounting holes in receivers are not often perfectly aligned, especially on Remingtons. The mounting surfaces on the receiver and the base aren't a perfect match either. Bedding the base remedies these problems, and minimizes the torque on your scope, which maximizes its performance as well.

You don't need to do this to get good performance out of your rifle, but it helps maximize your rifle's consistent, reliable accuracy.
    I see your point...