Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Anderson, CA
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    MR Crew Cab or Eberlestock Blue Widow?

    Like them both. I have tried on the BW with about 40 lbs on it and it was very comfortable. Unfortunately you can't try on a Crew Cab without knowing someone with one. Any opinions would help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,107
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 268 Times in 212 Posts
    I really like my eberlestock j104 which is really similar to the blue widow, but I can say the suspension on the Kuiu Icon 6000 is much superior. You might want to add it to your options. I have never heard of anyone that didn't like their crew cab, other than the weight.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Anderson, CA
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I really like my eberlestock j104 which is really similar to the blue widow, but I can say the suspension on the Kuiu Icon 6000 is much superior. You might want to add it to your options. I have never heard of anyone that didn't like their crew cab, other than the weight.
    How long of a trip have you done in your 104? I'm looking for something versatile enough to take on 2 day trips as well as 5-7 day trips. I really like how you can separate your meat from your camp things using a spike duffel.
    I was considering a KUIU but I'd rather sacrifice a little weight for durability.
    I've also been reading up on the MR 6500. But not to sure if I would like everything in one big compartment.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,107
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 268 Times in 212 Posts
    I had my Kuiu for a 3-day trip. Room is NOT a problem, With the hood fully utilized, you can stuff a lot of junk in there. I have also used it for day hunts, and the thing packs down small, there is a ton of adjustability with the many straps it has, and they all use the same QR clips. There is a meat cell that separates the meat from the rest of the cargo, and puts it right against the carbon fiber frame. Meat in the Eberlestock just ends up as a big ball at the bottom. I use stuff sacks like spike camp duffels. there are bunches of pockets, maybe too many for my taste. It is certainly lightweight, it would save you around 3 pounds over the other packs you listed. It seems durable to me, but I will still have to put some more tough miles on it first.

    The Icon's best feature is the suspension. It is super-adjustable, and super comfortable for me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bitterroot Valley, MT.
    Posts
    531
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I had my Kuiu for a 3-day trip. Room is NOT a problem, With the hood fully utilized, you can stuff a lot of junk in there. I have also used it for day hunts, and the thing packs down small, there is a ton of adjustability with the many straps it has, and they all use the same QR clips. There is a meat cell that separates the meat from the rest of the cargo, and puts it right against the carbon fiber frame. Meat in the Eberlestock just ends up as a big ball at the bottom. I use stuff sacks like spike camp duffels. there are bunches of pockets, maybe too many for my taste. It is certainly lightweight, it would save you around 3 pounds over the other packs you listed. It seems durable to me, but I will still have to put some more tough miles on it first.

    The Icon's best feature is the suspension. It is super-adjustable, and super comfortable for me.
    Do you still have this pack? Is this the one with the super light weight frame?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With a view of the Idaho Smokey Mts
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I love my j107 and it's versatility but if money is no obstacle the high dollar packs get a lot of great reviews. I may try one someday but I think a blacks creek g11 may be the next pack I try.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,107
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 268 Times in 212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Do you still have this pack? Is this the one with the super light weight frame?
    Yeah I still have it. It will be my primary backpack-hunting backpack this year. The whole things scales out at 5 pounds. Pretty light, and the carbon fiber looks sexy.

    I still use my J104 for day hunting. I love that gun scabbard.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 110 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Yeah I still have it. It will be my primary backpack-hunting backpack this year. The whole things scales out at 5 pounds. Pretty light, and the carbon fiber looks sexy.

    I still use my J104 for day hunting. I love that gun scabbard.
    Wow 5 pounds is awesome . The KUIU does look like a sweet system with that carbon fiber frame and suspension. Warranty looks good too on them. I have one of the older J packs Eberlestock and the gun scabbard is nice but that KUIU looks awesome.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bitterroot Valley, MT.
    Posts
    531
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Yeah I still have it. It will be my primary backpack-hunting backpack this year. The whole things scales out at 5 pounds. Pretty light, and the carbon fiber looks sexy.
    Can you get a descent load on it? I use the Cabelas Alaskan Extreme and with my "modification" I have it under 5 lbs. This year in the bob I had it at 55 lbs and it is a dream, it carries weight so well. My only complaint or 2 is it is a bit noisy with no load. and the external frame hits branches in thick cover. Again, it's loud. But I would hold it up against anything when it comes to carrying weight. Just curious as to what else is out there for daily use and carrying a load if something goes down?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bitterroot Valley, MT.
    Posts
    531
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T43 View Post
    I love my j107 and it's versatility but if money is no obstacle the high dollar packs get a lot of great reviews. I may try one someday but I think a blacks creek g11 may be the next pack I try.
    Thanks for the tip... i do like the Canadian.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Blue widow
    By bow&muzzyhunter in forum Packs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 05:37 AM
  2. Eberlestock Blue Widow
    By BEETLEGUY in forum Packs
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 09:42 PM
  3. Eberlestock Blue Widow
    By Fink in forum Packs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
  4. Eberlestock Blue Widow in dry earth?
    By miller1 in forum Bows, Arrows and Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 04:05 PM
  5. Eberlestock Blue Widow
    By dcannon in forum Packs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •