Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone using a slider sight for spot and stalk?

I just picked up a HHA Slider sight for free. I have never paid too much attention to sliders, but since it was free, I thought I would ask...

Here is the sight I picked up

Anyone using this style out west for spot and stalk hunting? Or is the majority using traditional fixed sights?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This year Ill be using a slider sight but it has a 5 pin head on it. Its a Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg. I dont think I could use a single pin unless I was strictly tree stand hunting.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Fixed. One less thing I have to worry about before the shot. Animals move around and if you are tryin to minimize movement a slider could be a pain. If you are expecting a 30 yard shot and it turns into a 40 you may have issues.

I have a couple buddies that use sliders and love them. It definitely can be done if that's what you feel comfortable with. One nice thing is you won't get your pins mixed up!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantbvfd View Post
    One nice thing is you won't get your pins mixed up!
    Ive done that before lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Boy View Post
    Ive done that before lol
    I think every bowhunter has. Missed a buck of a lifetime 2 years ago because of it. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
    I just picked up a HHA Slider sight for free. I have never paid too much attention to sliders, but since it was free, I thought I would ask...

Here is the sight I picked up

Anyone using this style out west for spot and stalk hunting? Or is the majority using traditional fixed sights?
    I've been using a HHA for 7 seasons and I hunt spot and stalk or calling 98% of the time. I set mine at 30 yards and know to hold a little low (2 inches) at 20 and a little high (4 inches) at 40. Anything past 40 I take the time to adjust the sight. Shot my 2010 bull thru the center of the heart at 55 yards after ranging him and setting the sight. Shot my 2011 bull thru both lungs at 30 without having to move anything.

Of the 20 or so elk I have killed with my bow the average shot "out west" has been 27 yards so the system works well for me! I prefer the uncluttered sight view and so far the sight has been tough as nails. Never had a problem with it.

The biggest drawback in my opinion is that is your adjust anything on your bow re-sighting in is more complicated than just moving pins at each yardage. There are some cool computer programs that would make it a lot easier but I have yet to go that route....probably will soon!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hulburt View Post
    I've been using a HHA for 7 seasons and I hunt spot and stalk or calling 98% of the time. I set mine at 30 yards and know to hold a little low (2 inches) at 20 and a little high (4 inches) at 40. Anything past 40 I take the time to adjust the sight. Shot my 2010 bull thru the center of the heart at 55 yards after ranging him and setting the sight. Shot my 2011 bull thru both lungs at 30 without having to move anything.

Of the 20 or so elk I have killed with my bow the average shot "out west" has been 27 yards so the system works well for me! I prefer the uncluttered sight view and so far the sight has been tough as nails. Never had a problem with it.

The biggest drawback in my opinion is that is your adjust anything on your bow re-sighting in is more complicated than just moving pins at each yardage. There are some cool computer programs that would make it a lot easier but I have yet to go that route....probably will soon!
    I've been using one for 6 seasons and wish I would have switched years ago! I set mine at 35yds and am good to go from 0-40 just requires a little compensation. I like the uncluttered view also!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hulburt View Post

I'm with Joe! I love my single pin slider, and use it the same way he does!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm using the CBE Tek Hunter and liking it a lot. I will say going to a single pin slider will take a few month to get really efficient with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Invasion Black OPS (Large).jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the Black Gold Ascent sight with 5 pins fixed...love it!