Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Handheld releases for bowhunting

i was just curious if anyone shoots handheld thumb releases or backtension for bowhunting and what they would reccomend thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use a Carter Ember 1. There are quite a few good handheld release makers, but Carter's craftsmanship and quality is No1 IMO. Most tournament archers use them because there's no trigger travel and they adjust easily.

http://www.carterenterprises.com/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Maxhunter is definitely sending you in the right direction. Carter releases are king in my opinion. The Carter Ember is a great choice or Carter's Chocolate Addiction, I would slightly favor the Ember since it has an open D loop hook unlike the Chocolate Addiction. If you are really considering a back tension release, I would start shooting with a Stanislovski Release for at least 6 months. This is a true back tension release with no trigger and will help cure target panic. This is a must in my opinion if you have shot with fingers or a caliper like I used too. Carter releases are very accurate when they are shot right, be patient and don't give up. Your shooting will improve greatly.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jim Fletcher Jimmy T not mentioned yet and very quite for a thumb release. Another benefit it wont break your wallet. You can probably pick one up for $60.00 - $70.00. Just another option for you

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot a T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Xtreme and love it. It is a dual caliper, four finger design. The trigger sensitivity can be set and with the unlimited trigger adjustment, I've got mine set almost like a tension type release. Maybe a little noise coming from it, but I haven't noticed it as that bad.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for all the input ive shot some carters before but the thing that worries me is the noise of them having to be cocked to shoot ive been checking out the tru ball max 4 hunter anyone have any experience with that one?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I dont have anything bad to say about the back tension style releases, however there is one thing that has come to mind and its a consideration I looked at that took me away from them. Most of them do not have a wrist retention to them. Some have a small hole in which one could be added though. They tend to run more money than most trigger style.
    When hunting elk I do tend to move often and it is easy to set it down and forget it on the ground.
    This is why I dont use one. However if you do choose to shoot one, you can either drill a hole or if it has a hole in it add a retention lanyard so you dont loose it.
    Just a thought to add when considering it for a main hunting option.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    I dont have anything bad to say about the back tension style releases, however there is one thing that has come to mind and its a consideration I looked at that took me away from them. Most of them do not have a wrist retention to them. Some have a small hole in which one could be added though. They tend to run more money than most trigger style.
    When hunting elk I do tend to move often and it is easy to set it down and forget it on the ground.
    This is why I dont use one. However if you do choose to shoot one, you can either drill a hole or if it has a hole in it add a retention lanyard so you dont loose it.
    Just a thought to add when considering it for a main hunting option.
    This is a good point, but my Scott Longhorn Hex comes with a wrist strap.

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk.
    Eat Cow, Drill Oil, Rope Calves - Welcome to Alberta!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The newer truballs have a "cutout" for a wrist strap. I shoot a chappy boss and love it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The noise from a Carter release isn't a problem with any of their products, but if you are concerned about it, the Ember release is cocked all the time all you have to do is hook it on your d loop draw pick a spot and pull. The wrist strap is an easy fix, get some of the plastic decoy cord and an decoy cord depth adjuster and on the cocking lever there is a hole to slide the cord thru, make a loop with the cord put the depth adjuster on and you have a strap