Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 8 Posts
    How do you all think Unit 7 holding up. In the last few years they have been issuing a ton of tags. I have heard it is a zoo on the publicly accessible ground even in the archery season (which is what I would hunt with that tag). Is that true? My sons and I have max points and I have kept my eye on it for years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's not that crowded actually during the archery season, they lowered the amount of tags this year because supposedly the quality of bulls has gone down, but from what I've seen, it hasn't gone down, saw 8 or 9 bulls that would go over 350 easily and a big 380 bull

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?n5aldw

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    I have max and am ready to give up on 100 and a few of the other southern units. Just too few tags and more attention there. I'm used to dissecting difficult public land access, and backpacking into remote areas. Did so in New Mexico last year. I am wondering if the limited public areas are pretty obvious, or if they are spread out more and thus unpredictable from year to year. Also if their are better where backpacking would be an advantage. This is for archery. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I keep hearing bad things about 7.

Unless you're on private land, way too many hunters, especially cow hunters, quality slipping esp on public land, access points to public crowded beyond belief. Most DIY hunters hunting 7 have maps, the same maps as you and we all can figure out where the limited public land is... etc...

Just saying before I burned 7pts or whatever on elk in 7 for a diy I may consider somewhere else, or at least be prepared...

part of me is starting to think private land in any area might produce some big boys and be able to hunt it every year or two, less pressure, etc...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    How do you all think Unit 7 holding up. In the last few years they have been issuing a ton of tags. I have heard it is a zoo on the publicly accessible ground even in the archery season (which is what I would hunt with that tag). Is that true? My sons and I have max points and I have kept my eye on it for years.
    x2 I hear much of the same thing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted area 7 two years ago and can honestly say I will not put in for it again. I am a resident and it was a mad house, like everyone has said. I could not believe the number of people that were out there. There were at least 5 trucks on every public access I had scouted. I've heard that the archery season is the way to go if you are going to hunt it. It is very expensive to get access to private land and some land does not even have access. The elk know where this is and after the first shot they head there and do not leave. i over ten days of hunting I only saw 3 smaller bulls and a herd of around 10 cows. Not what I was expecting for as much hype as this area has. I would not burn preference points on this area unless you plan to hire an outfitter who has access to public land. hope this helps you guys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    Anyone have experience on the archery hunt in area 7?
    Last edited by Zim; 05-14-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If your talking about 7, there's a lot of Elk during the archery season, and at least where I go there isn't as many people as the rifle season. I'll agree with rifle season though, it's a zoo, I usually wait till November before I rifle hunt it

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?sl3aoc

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I hunted archery in area & about 3 years ago. We hit the rut just right and must have seen about 30-50 bulls just in the morning hours. That was in an WIA that the landowner has taken away. Go back just about every year for reduced price cow tag. Archery lately seems to be getting very busy in this area. I put in for my bull tags in the black hills areas. Monster bulls taken every year if you can draw the tag. Getting hard to draw tags this side of the state since everyone is tired of dealing with the wolves out west.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Sorry, area 7.