Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anyone familar with the Greys River/Little Greys area? I think its unit 89 or around there. Just east of Thayne. My grandfather hunted there for decades. Before he passed in June, he showed me some of the areas he hunted. I think his last hunt there was in the early 90's. In his day, he shot 33 elk......most out of the greys area. Biggest bull was a 360" in the 1960's/1970's. I never got the opportunity to hunt with him out there, and would love to hunt the area. Just hunting the hills my grandfather used to hunt would mean alot to me.

I have 3 elk PP's, or will once i buy one this year. Would be looking at archery. How many pp's are needed to realistically have a shot at drawing?

any advice on this unit? are surrounding units better? He and my fam used to hunt on a ranch outside Thayne sometimes as well (to the west bordering Idaho, different unit than the greys).....I should call the rancher. I dont think he knows that grandpa passed. I only met him once, but him and grandpa hunted for decades together.

He also mentioned seeing alot of good mulies in the area. I think the mulie unit is 144, or region G. any advice or suggestions for mule deer in the greys area???

Wolves an issue?

anyways, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks!

Luke

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As far as the Elk go its a good hunt, gorgeous country. As far as the quality, its probalby average, if you kill a 320 bull your doing great. Too many outfitters in there for both deer and elk. Folks are still killing good deer, as always you just gota do your work, and homework. Theres wolves everywhere in the state right now so thats a mute to me, and theres geting to be some grizzes over in that country too so pay attention. obviously theres better quality units, but all kidding aside nothing beats a wilderness elk hunt as far as quality of hunt if you appreciate the backcountry. If your scared of bears and wolves which hey i dnt like em anymore than the rest of the hunters up there, your probably gonna worry too much and not sleep at night, and gonna want to get the H out of there. Seen it alot of times. Just my .02

As far as the best quality in the state I would have to say the Black Hills areas, rochelle hills, then 7.. They always pound big bulls out of those units. Just hard to draw...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey hey, lets keep that black hills area quiet lol! I have seen some monsters taken out of there quite frequently the last few years. The rochelle hills has some monsters north of the hwy but is about 95% private. South of the hwy there is more public but quality goes way down. At least you can but in for bulls every other year instead of every 3rd year now. I hunt the black hills areas. Love it here. Missed a monster bull with my bow last year. Made me sick to my stomach. Came in too fast and surprised me. Wasnt quite ready for him.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the reply. Not really worried about wolves or bears....just worried about their affect on the elk/deer. wolves kill them all winter and bears get them in the spring. not good. So that area is pretty overrun? thats too bad. Before he passed, grandpa did say he saw more outfitters in he region than he did in the 70's and 80's. I still want to do that hunt, just to see the country, experience the land, and to hunt the areas my grandfather once did. Maybe I am too sentimental......We too considered getting off the roads completely and setting up a camp a few miles back. Grizzlys make that more time consuming and difficult......but still doable.

as for trophy potential, I am just getting back into western hunting from a 10 year period of not going due to college, work, family, and ect. I have only shot 1 elk, and that was a cow in the Bighorns by Burgess junction. This would be my first bow hunt. we would like to go on a bow elk hunt before we burn our points on a better. Maybe send in for an easier to get tag as an option 2??? we also considered Idaho or Colorado OTC. But I love Wyoming..........would rather hunt here.

I am relatively familiar with the black hills area as well. I just didnt think the elk pop was very large and the land not as big. My family also used to deer hunt for many years south of sundance on the dillon ranch, on 116 towads upton. That deer season was in Nov. if I remember correctly, so they used to do early elk hunts and hunted deer later. I dont know how they made 2 trips to WY from WI every year, or most years at least. I can barely afford 1 trip! I know there is elk on mt. Inyancara, as well as up in the Bear Lodge area north of sundance. I guess i never considered those areas, they dont get good pub or ratings. Wish we could still hunt at dillons, but its leased to outfitters, which prices me out. I am a DIY guy. Maybe it would be worth adding that unit as a second choice???? if you dont want to put too much info out on here, you could PM me. I think there are 3 units in that area, without looking on WGFD website. 116,117.....and unit 1???

I also mule deer hunted in the desert area by the powder river which is unit 2 for elk. we have seen sign and a energy comany trucker we talked to had seen a good herd with a good bull in the area before......but I dont think there are tons of elk around there, but it would be an option i guess.

any suggestions guys/gals? we could happily tag a 320" bull...........to be honest, I will be shooting any legal bull on m first DIY elk hunt. So we would like to hunt somewhere before we draw a greys river tag or a different tag in a better unit. Would it be possible to get a 1,2,116,117 tag as a 2nd option? or are the odds impossible? would it be worth my time doing a DIY archery hunt in those areas? Is access possible? I would prefer to avoid tresspass fees and such if possible.

Thanks again guys. I am only 31, but it kills me that I misssed so many years of these hunts. I have the itch to really get back into them hardcore. I missed so many opportunities......not any more!

Thanks for the help.

Luke

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah those areas second choice arent going to happen, in fact im not sure they give a NR tag for rochelle, 7 sucks cause of all the outfitters and the wagonhound cali billionaire. Area 1 last I lookd was a very tough draw also, unless your made of money and can buy a commisioner tag. Wolves in the greys dont really take there toll on that herd, they still migrate like the days of old. The jackson refuge herd, now they flat get tore up, I know its the circle of life, but I have personally seen a big pack of 13 take down a bull up there and it was all I could do not to fling lead at all those F-er's. I had to leave, there was nothing even remotely wrong with that bull, it had to of been a 360ish bull in his prime they just ran that bull til he couldnt go no more. I would still hunt there your going to have a good hunt if you just flat enjoy hunting. I like hunting but I also like to hunt with the hope of getting a 350+. Plus I think last I heard most of what the outfitters are up there for now is whats left of the Mule Deer theres still some elk guys. Pretty much what I am saying is I would still hunt there, there are some good bulls, and I have heard there still pulling some 330 ish bulls out of there. Obviously not very many, but hey there is hope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
    Hey hey, lets keep that black hills area quiet lol! I have seen some monsters taken out of there quite frequently the last few years. The rochelle hills has some monsters north of the hwy but is about 95% private. South of the hwy there is more public but quality goes way down. At least you can but in for bulls every other year instead of every 3rd year now. I hunt the black hills areas. Love it here. Missed a monster bull with my bow last year. Made me sick to my stomach. Came in too fast and surprised me. Wasnt quite ready for him.
    I used to apply for the black hills but after 10 years of not drawing I gave up on it and started applying for the Rochelle hills. Last year I was finally lucky enough to draw 123 and I took a 350 bull on the second day. I went back up to almost the same place during deer season and seen five bulls and four of them were bigger than the one I took. I think it's the best area in the state I don't remember a day that I have been in the area and haven't seen an elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the replys. As I mentioned before, I am just getting back into the western hunting. I grew up going out with the family from when I was a really little kid. Then sports came, then college, then marriage, and 2 kids.....15 years passed and now I am getting back into it. I have shot a cow elk before, by burgess junction. But thats it. The other 2-3 guys in my party have never even hunted elk. So we are pretty green so to speak. But I was raised on the knowledge and the hundreds of stories from my grandfather. While it may sound crazy, its in my blood even though I am pretty new to the elk hunting. Done quite a bit of the deer and goat hunts, and hunt alot back in Wisconsin. So pretty much, on my first archery elk hunt, I am shooting the first legal bull I call in. You have to have success before you get choosy. Rochelle hills............I am not familiar with that. I will have to look that up. 2nd choice aint happening for the black hills??? That was too much to hope for!

Someday I have to do that greys river hunt. about a month before he passed, grandpa went over some of his maps and showed me spots he hunted and places he shot elk. I just have to do that hunt someday whether I get anything or even see anything, deer or elk! Dont matter. But I am starting to think that for my first archery elk hunt, I may look elsewhere than that area.

Thanks for all the replys. This year we have Region C tags and are hunting around the Powder River east of buffalo. Next year we have some points for west river SD......unless we try an elk hunt instead (which I am leaning towards) if we draw tags. So I appreciate all the replys. October cant come soon enough! I will definately let you know how we do on our deer hunt, and will keep you posted on our elk hunts. Thanks for the help and candor. If any of you get to wisconsin, look me up. Hunting is down unless you own land due to CWD.....but turkey hunting is great and I know lots of good lakes for fishing.
    Thanks again guys and keep in touch!

Luke