Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thoughts & Opinions on Units 80-81 DIY hunt

I am looking for any information about these units for a DIY elk hunt. I have been backpacking in unit 81 and it looks promising. However, I don't know anything as far as hunting/hunting pressure in the unit itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i hunted a different unit last year (drew an undersubscribed unit as my 2nd choice and gained a point) because the pressure got worse and worse in 80-81. there are some elk in the unit but the pressure sucks and my opinion is that the pressure pushes alot of the elk right on into 76. i have fond memories of 80-81 cuz i killed my first elk there but i am looking for more than what 80-81 has to offer once the pressure starts. if you do hunt it i would recommend hunting it before the muzzy hunters arrive. you'll be dealing with silent elk but its better than dealing with a bunch of other hunters. i if you do hunt it during or after the muzzy hunters you may want to hunt west of the Conejos in the wilderness areas. its a good hike in but you wont see nearly as many hunters in there. and if you get 5 miles or so back in you will likely have the area to yourself. good luck
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you for the great info trophyhill. I am going to try and get up in the mountains as soon as the archery season begins, but I Teach/Coach and Aug.25 is pretty close to our start date for next year. I will probably have to push hunting back a few weeks. A budy of mine and I backpacked 6 1/2 mi. in to scout and do some fly fishing last July. We had a great trip! We are chomping at the bit to get back up there. I hope to be posting pictures of me with my first elk next september. Thanks again for the intel.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickingmonkey View Post
    Thank you for the great info trophyhill. I am going to try and get up in the mountains as soon as the archery season begins, but I Teach/Coach and Aug.25 is pretty close to our start date for next year. I will probably have to push hunting back a few weeks. A budy of mine and I backpacked 6 1/2 mi. in to scout and do some fly fishing last July. We had a great trip! We are chomping at the bit to get back up there. I hope to be posting pictures of me with my first elk next september. Thanks again for the intel.
    no problem. i hear there is some excellent trout fishing in the wilderness area as well. does the name Elk Creek ring a bell? there are some dandys in the Conejos for sure. you may want to take a fly rod with you
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Southern end of 81 seems to have a little less pressure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You know, funny you mention it... I do a lot of fly fishing here at home, which is very different from fishing in CO, but I had decided to pack in my 5wt 4pc and boy was I glad I did! In 3 hours I was able to catch and release 58 trout! (brookies & cuts) I was in heaven!!! I had taken a new hopper pattern I tie for down here and it was like a little t-bone steak landing on the water. They just couldn't resist it. I have heard of Elk Creek, but I have yet to fish it. We were west of the Conejos and north of the South Fork.