Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

rectangle bag or mummy????

I have always used a mummy bag and I always feel so confined. I hate it!! I never see any manufactors that make a nice rectangle bag, atleast not that I have seen. I can't be the only one that feels this way and was wondering if anyone can suggest one or should I just deal like I have been?
    thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Big Agnes makes awesome, technical, rectangular bags in their Classic and Classic SL series.
    They require the use of a pad.

I had a Lost Ranger 15 deg. bag and it was very comfortable.

I moved to a mummy style Zirkel SL and like it also, but the Lone Ranger had more room for sure.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Pr...Bag/filters/93
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 01-18-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mummy bags insulate more effectively; rectangular bags permit more movement and comfort. I have both and depending on if I'm not backpacking or concerned with a weight to warmth ratio, rectangular is less constricted and more comfortable for me. I have a very heavy canvas rectangular bag filled with qualafill made by Slumberjack that I've had for many years rated -30 but it stays off my back. I have seen other rectangle bags lighter and some hybrid combo mummy/rectangle out there. I can't say I've tried them but perhaps that might be a solution.
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 01-17-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If your looking for a awsome rectangular bag for a base camp the oversized Bass Pro flannel lined bag is the way to go. After buyin mine a few years back all my buddys made the switch as well. They are very comfortable with plenty of room and very warm. This however is a very heavy duty bag that wieghs alot, being made with an canvas outter shell and all.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Great question! I hate my mummy bag for the same reason. But I've never been cold in it when packing in. I love my very heavy flannel bags for base camp. My mummy is a 15 degree and my flannels are -15. I also will look into a new rectangle bag I can compress for packing. Never really think about how much I hate it until I'm in it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used to have the same issue with mummy bags. I ended up switching to a down quilt made by Jacks-R-Better. They were designed for hammock camping, but work great on the ground with a good ground pad. I have found they are the best and most versatile way to stay lightweight and still be very warm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    +1 for big Agnes. I have a BA lost ranger, it is more on the rectangular side and I like it. Like bb said, you need a pad with it. I would recommend therma rest neoair or BA insulated air core.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a western mountaineering down mummy bag rated for something in the negative numbers. I do a lot of turning during the night and they are confining. I have considered getting a Jacks R Better quilt like highcountry dreams, but unless its real cold I just unzip the bag and lay it on top of me with my feet inside the bottom of the bag. You will know if you get off the thermarest during the night. When it gets really cold I am glad I have the bag. Just remember where the heat is coming from that is keeping you warm. It seems like bigger the bag the longer it seems to take to warm up.