Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks

Game Meat Recipes **

Ok guys I hope I don't loose any guy card points for this post. But what are your favorite Recipes for game? Stew, chilli, anything you like to cook with game meat. Post the recipes. Thanx

Thanks
    My favorite way to cook wild game steak.
    1. deer, elk, antelope steaks about 1/2" - 3/4" thick (thawed) If tough tenderize before cooking.
    2. glass bowl or plastic (metal imparts a taste that you don't want) with some milk poured in it and throw about 5 or so eggs and whip up in the bowl. Enough egg and milk mixture to cover the meat.
    3. Put the meat into the milk and egg mixture and stir up and cover the meat with the mixture. Cover the bowl and put in the fridge if you have time (not necessary) for a couple of hours. Enzymes in milk is supposed to help break it down.
    4. Take a tube of Ritz Crackers and crush them in the tube (easier and less messy that way). Put the crackers on a plate.
    5. Heat a large pan and put oil in it or butter at a medium heat.
    6. Take a steak out after making sure it's covered in the milk mixture and quickly put it onto the cracker crumbs making sure you do both sides of the piece of steak. Do all of the pieces that way.
    7. Cook the steak to where it's medium rare with just a bit of pink in the center. When the cracker crumb on one side is just getting a nice golden brown it's time to flip. Might take a couple times for you to figure out when to turn the steak. It needs to be a little pink in the middle in my opinion. It is juicier and holds the flavor. When you flip the steaks then you can salt and pepper to taste.
    8. Served with mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetable, and a nice garden salad, it's good stuff. If the meat is gamey at all this takes most of all of the wild taste out.
    ENJOY

Another SIMPLE way to do it but very good also!!

Take thawed steaks and roll in flour placed on a plate. An easier way is to put some flour, seasoning, salt, and pepper in a small paper bag or plastic bag. Shake it up really well. Take the meat and throw it into the bag and close the lid and keep air in the bag. Shake it up really well. That lightly flours the meat. Put the steaks into a heated pan on medium with oil or butter and cook to medium rare with just a bit of pink in the middle. Salt and pepper to taste. The pieces that might flake off in the pan are great in gravy. Make your gravy out of the same pan and it's great. Also a very good way to cook game steaks. It helps keep the meat from drying out and I love it that way.
    Last edited by 6mm Remington; 10-25-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    I love to cut any venison into small cubes, put in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, celery, and any other vegies you may like. Add some Mcormicks beef stew seasoning and the right amount of water. Put in the crock pot in the morning on low, when I get home from work I have some of the best beef stew ever.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Favorite recipe:

2 inch thick backstrap (maybe 3 inches), seasoned with salt and lemon pepper, maybe a little bit of olive oil.. Grill it HOT and FAST over about a 600F grill to medium rare.

My mom always made meatballs with ground venison, I love them.. I'll have to dig that recipe up and post... Best meatballs ever!

Thanks
    I cook everything with wild game. We don't buy beef from the store so its hard to come up with something just for wild game.

I saw that P&Y is asking for wild game recipes to publish in a new cookbook. I can't wait for it to come out and see what it has in it! yum!

Thanks
    My husband and I do the cooking back to front. He does all the cooking at the house, and I do all the BBQ-ing, camp cooking and dutch oven - man, if you have not tried dutch oven cooking DO IT! It is awesome!

Anyway, here is one of my most favorite dutch oven deer recipes. Don;t be put off by all the fruit. My husband was, but after he tasted it he said it was one of the best ever (and he doesn't even like raisins).

2lb of venison stew meat cut in to chunks
    3 T. oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 ribs celery, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups boiling water
    2.5 cups cranberries
    3/4 cup raisins
    2 T. balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
    2 T. brown sugar
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    Grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat oil in Dutch oven and brown meat. Remove meat and saute onion, celery and garlic until just golden. Add meat, boiling water, cranberries, raisins, vinegar, brown sugar, spices and lemon. Cover and simmer for 1.5 hours. I like to add white rice about 30 minutes before the end as it soaks up all the delicious meat and fruit juices, but you can also serve it on the side if you prefer. It's freaking awesome either way!

If you want a good game cookbook the North American Hunting Club has several and also Tiffany Haugen has some awesome ones out that cover bear, deer, elk, poultry - you name it! You can find them here http://www.tiffanyhaugen.com/index.html

Thanks
    Check out Jim Zumbos cook book for many good ideas
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Bear Stew (works with all game but bear is the best)

2 pounds bear meat cut in 1" pieces
    1/4 cup flour
    1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons veg oil
    1 can (16 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup white wine or water
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
    1/2 cup choped celery
    2 cloves garlic
    bay leaf
    2 big potatoes cut in 1' cubes

Pat the meat dry ( I learned this from the movie Julie and Julia ) then put the flour and seasonings in a bag and toss the meat around in it then brown it....add everything else except the potatoes. Heat to boiling then simmer for 1 hour

add the potatoes and bring to boiling then simmer another hour.

I usually double this and it is all gone the next day. The best stew I have made to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leveller View Post
    If you want a good game cookbook the North American Hunting Club has several and also Tiffany Haugen has some awesome ones out that cover bear, deer, elk, poultry - you name it! You can find them here http://www.tiffanyhaugen.com/index.html
    I would second checking out Tiffany Haugens cookbook! Every single thing I have tried from it is amazing! I will post up her Red Curry Antelope one soon.........just made that the other night. Mmmmm!
    Last edited by Joe Hulburt; 10-27-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks
    I agree that any wildgame in a crockpot on low heat with a mixture of vegetables, seasonin, and broth for the day is one of the best dinners you can make.
    Its the spirit of the wild.

Thanks
    Swiss Steak
    Cut small 2"x3"x3/4" steaks
    Bread in flower, course black pepper, celery salt, season all salt
    Brown in the bottom of a large cast iron skillet with a little oil in the bottom
    Once browned add stewed tomatoes, worsticher (sp) sauce, garlic, chopped onion, potato chunks, catchup and water.
    Simmer until steaks are fork tender.