Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Iphone, Talk me into it. (hunting, outdoor use)

I guess I am a little behind on this sort of thing. I thought I would never need or use an IPhone. I could care less about surfing the Internet and checking email on one as I have a laptop with me most of the time for work. But I was out riding snowmobiles with a few friends and they had Iphones with google earth and gps. It was sure handy being able to see that just over the ridge from you there was an open valley. Something you cant see from a topo map. I'm not sure that alone can get me into getting one, so I was just wondering what else these phones can do for me in the back country? I see Cabelas has an app for hunting use?? What other apps do you guys have for using while in the outdoors.

Also What phones to look for. Right now I have AT&T but will most likely be going to Verizon has there service is better here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I have an iPhone. There is cool apps, for me the topomap app gives me the best use for hunting. As far use while hunting, it serves the same amount of purpose as a rock in my pack. Usually doesn't have service where I hunt. It serves me well for other aspects in my life though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We don't have cell service where we where snowmobiling either. I snowmobile and hunt in the same area. But they had the maps for the area cached (sp) before we had no service and the gps worked without service?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I also have a IPhone and IPad. Google earth is bad ass but you do have to have service to use it. What I do is use my IPad now but used to use my laptop, and before a hunt I will bring up GE and save the the areas I'm looking at to My Documents so when I get there and we are at base camp I have all of the visual maps of the whole area saved and won't need service to look at it. All of the GPS apps also need a good connection to work. AT&T sucks were I hunt to but I take a pay as you go Verizon phone because the service is much better in the woods. When you get the phone read the entire info in the app and it will usually say if it needs to have service or some WiFi.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Get the Gaia GPS app for the iPhone. You can use Internet connections to stream Google Earth and all the USGS quads seamless! You can also download portions of the seamless USGS topos to your phone for offline use. Gaia also turns your iPhone into a high functionality GPS online or off.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Get the Gaia GPS app for the iPhone. You can use Internet connections to stream Google Earth and all the USGS quads seamless! You can also download portions of the seamless USGS topos to your phone for offline use. Gaia also turns your iPhone into a high functionality GPS online or off.
    Just checked that out BB looks pretty cool.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another great app is AccuTerra Unlimited. It shows public/private boundaries in caches maps (so it works without cell coverage). Also allows you to switch between satellite imagery and topo maps seamlessly, although you need cell coverage for sat imagery. I use this app so much that I had to get a solar charger to keep my iPhone charged!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcountry Dreams View Post
    Another great app is AccuTerra Unlimited. It shows public/private boundaries in caches maps (so it works without cell coverage). Also allows you to switch between satellite imagery and topo maps seamlessly, although you need cell coverage for sat imagery. I use this app so much that I had to get a solar charger to keep my iPhone charged!
    That was another question I was going to ask. I was looking at Bruntons solar chargers and am wondering what one to get for mainly just an Iphone?

A bunch of great apps here. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Wow, This forum never ceases to amaze me here on Eastman's. I work at Apple Inc. I've been here since 1987 and I did not know about this yet . It does not surprise me as innovation here at Apple flies by quicker than I can type this note. Free for the iPhone app is a good price too. I think I'll have to get that one and try it out. I read recently you have the iPad now Bitterroot Bulls. I'm seeing they have a version for that as well although I'm just learning about it from what you just wrote. Thanks for the update!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcountry Dreams View Post
    I'll have to check this one out more at home when I get off work. This one sounds cool too. I guess I need to search the apps out more than I do. Sounds like there are some good ones out there now. Thanks for the update!