Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    B, I agree non-residents should pay a little more but only a little. WE already bring a bunch of money into each state with hotel, restaurants, and gas that normally wouldn't be sold without the nonres.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    B, I agree non-residents should pay a little more but only a little. WE already bring a bunch of money into each state with hotel, restaurants, and gas that normally wouldn't be sold without the nonres.
    This is an old argument that i've never agreed with. I will agree that they bring in some money. Do they bring in more than the resident hunters? I can't see how. First off the residents have bigger numbers. Second we spend money here all year. Third we all spend our money here. compared to a NR who might drive here and go right to camp. A NR might buy 1-2 tanks of gas here. I buy over 50 in a year.

So, the bottom line is the NR may spend some money here, but it is small compared to a resident. I don't believe it should be considered in the price of tags.

My .02

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I am fully aware of where funding for wildlife management comes from. The bulk of wildlife funding comes from residents and their license fees, a small fraction comes from non-residents and their license fees. License fees are a tax, and residents pay taxes in MT in a lot of ways other than hunting/fishing licenses. While non-residents complain about paying high license fees they are using the infrastructure for free. You can believe my argument is invalid if you want, but ignoring the necessity of infrastructure for hunting doesn't make that necessity invalid.

As far as paying for the privilege to drive in MT. That is my point exactly, residents do pay for the privilege to drive in MT, and they pay for your privilege to drive here too. A lot of states charge visitors for that privilege through tolls. Other states offset non-resident infrastructure use through a sales tax. MT does not. MT welcomes non-residents, and asks them to invest in the wildlife they are enjoying in MT.

I am not trying to argue, just giving my point of view.
    I don't really want to argue either, but the fact remains that maintenance on those roads and other infrastructure would be paid for whether or not a single game tag was sold to residents or non-residents. Those funds are entirely separate, and using that as a basis for your argument for increased tag costs is questionable.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    BigSur,

I don't mind paying for the tag. Just let me have one every year. I love hiking the mountains, and scout a good 250 days a year from 8000ft to 11,000ft. It's a labor of love, but depressing when I can't enjoy all that work with no tag in the fall.

I'm friends with the local warden, and he agrees with me, but he can't do anything about it.

It could be done without any other hunter losing anything. There's 7 days between the end of archery season and the start of the 1st rifle season. They could make it the senior season, and we'd still pay for our tags. It could work, and I know a lot of senior hunters who would love the idea.
    Aren't there numerous units in Colorado where you can buy an elk tag over the counter after the 1st rifle season?
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    Aren't there numerous units in Colorado where you can buy an elk tag over the counter after the 1st rifle season?
    Yes, but not in my unit. I know my unit, and I can come home at night to a bed and shower. Plus i'm talking about deer. It's all draw in Colorado. I have no problem getting an elk tag if I alternate year to year with bull and cow, but elk are getting hard for me to get the meat out alone. I'm ready to just hunt for mule deer if I can do it every year. One answer is to hunt for a calf, but I don't think I could shoot one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    I don't really want to argue either, but the fact remains that maintenance on those roads and other infrastructure would be paid for whether or not a single game tag was sold to residents or non-residents. Those funds are entirely separate, and using that as a basis for your argument for increased tag costs is questionable.
    Well, I guess the wildlife would get managed without fee revenue from non-resident hunting, too.

It sounds like everybody agrees it is OK to charge non-residents more, it is just how much more. From a resource perspective, getting the most you can from non-residents and still meeting management objectives would be the most beneficial. The current prices must not be too high, as they sold all of the tags last year.

I reread Kevin's post, and agree we shouldn't be turning hunter against hunter. So I propose this CA: if you can swing the steep license fee, I will do my best to point you to an enjoyable hunt here in MT, and maybe make your investment in MT's wildlife seem like it was worth it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Well, I guess the wildlife would get managed without fee revenue from non-resident hunting, too.

It sounds like everybody agrees it is OK to charge non-residents more, it is just how much more. From a resource perspective, getting the most you can from non-residents and still meeting management objectives would be the most beneficial. The current prices must not be too high, as they sold all of the tags last year.

I reread Kevin's post, and agree we shouldn't be turning hunter against hunter. So I propose this CA: if you can swing the steep license fee, I will do my best to point you to an enjoyable hunt here in MT, and maybe make your investment in MT's wildlife seem like it was worth it.
    Thanks Bitterroot Bulls. I've been privileged to hunt in MT as a non-resident a time or two. For me, those hunts have always been enjoyable adventures and well worth the price of the non-resident tag. I also was one of those tags last year you mention this past year that sold out. For me, all I can say is the cost of the tag was well worth it and I feel the money was well spent.

Thanks
    Hey Pete. You want to shoot an elk this year and need help getting it out, let me know. I'd come in a heartbeat.

Yes, but not in my unit. I know my unit, and I can come home at night to a bed and shower. Plus i'm talking about deer. It's all draw in Colorado. I have no problem getting an elk tag if I alternate year to year with bull and cow, but elk are getting hard for me to get the meat out alone. I'm ready to just hunt for mule deer if I can do it every year. One answer is to hunt for a calf, but I don't think I could shoot one.
    Nothing to sell.
    Nothing to promote.
    Love to hunt!

Thanks
    I solved the problem on deer tags by requesting my prefered unit as first choice and a doe tag as 2nd choice. If I don't get 1st choice, I almost always get the 2nd choice doe tag and a pref pt. The next year with the PP I usually get my buck tag and have enjoyed eating the meat from the doe!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Well said BB and Kevin R, I just dropped $1,400 on a Nevada bull tag and liecense, did it smart a little.......you bet, then add feul, food and time off work (if you don't get paid vacation time) Add all that up and thats a pretty darn expensive DYI hunt in the lower 48. I guess where i'm heading with all of this is that once you start trying to justify the cost's of these ADVENTURES you are missing the boat. Are non res tags expensive....YES....cut corners where you can, save your nickles and get out there and enjoy what other states have to offer.

I'm done now,