Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 108
  1. #61
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Not going to endear myself to alot of guys on this.

    I vote C and D.

    Its true that its federal land. Everyone both Res and Non Res can come and go as they want. The game belongs to the state and that's just the way it is. Like many here I will not be able to hunt my home unit yearly during my season of preference due to the changing of the tag allocations. It truly sucks since we've been doing it from 2 decades onto 4 plus depending on which guy you talk to in camp. Like many others I volunteer to help any way I can both through organizations and on with local ranchers/farmers.

    I have said it on other forums and I'll say it here. I think that if many of the non residents from the east had to face what us residents have to face when it comes to tags and being able to hunt, these conversations wouldn't crop up very much. Just in case that is a bit murky, ask yourself how you'd feel if you couldn't hunt your own state, country, town every year since your tag was allocated to someone else. I know CO has OTC tags and we are unique in that regards. However, guys in MT, WY, UT, NM, AZ and such run into that issue a ton. Granted a few have general tags but you are often times forced to hunt somewhere you don't normally do.

    Personally I feel they could open the flood gates to NR's provided that the residents are guaranteed the hunts of their choice. Trophy Units notwithstanding.

    BTW, Ric and Old Hunter,

    IF you guys ever meet up in the Fort, let me know. I wouldn't mind joining into the meet up if possible.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Searcy, Arkansas 72143
    Posts
    551
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    My problem is I have property In Colorado, my jeep is tagged in Co. I pay a lot of taxes in Co. I use to spend at least one monthof the year in Co. I still have to pay full non resident fees.
    Last year I had a NM bear tag and mule deer tag. I drove to Co to hunt in NM but an illness caused me to cancel hunting before the season opened for deer and the bear tag had only been good for 4 hours before seasoned closed. I cant afford these cost on a gamble that everything will work out. I can get into the woods/mountains with a camera and have almost as much fun as hunting with a gun. I can also kill lots of paper and not have to drag/carry a game animal. All I would be doing is opening a slot for someone else. Thats okay I had over forty years of nonresident hunting and enjoyed it.
    Some states have landowner tags, that would be more fair.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 86 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapiti slayer .270 View Post
    I have said it on other forums and I'll say it here. I think that if many of the non residents from the east had to face what us residents have to face when it comes to tags and being able to hunt, these conversations wouldn't crop up very much.
    I would blow a gasket if I were unable to deer hunt my farm on an annual basis... Although, there are probably more whitetails in Missouri than there are elk in the US.. It is unfortunate that the resource is so limited, but I think that overall states do a fairly good job of managing the resource, and providing opportunity for both the resident and non resident hunters.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Buena Vista, Co.
    Posts
    1,137
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapiti slayer .270 View Post
    Not going to endear myself to alot of guys on this.

    I vote C and D.

    Its true that its federal land. Everyone both Res and Non Res can come and go as they want. The game belongs to the state and that's just the way it is. Like many here I will not be able to hunt my home unit yearly during my season of preference due to the changing of the tag allocations. It truly sucks since we've been doing it from 2 decades onto 4 plus depending on which guy you talk to in camp. Like many others I volunteer to help any way I can both through organizations and on with local ranchers/farmers.

    I have said it on other forums and I'll say it here. I think that if many of the non residents from the east had to face what us residents have to face when it comes to tags and being able to hunt, these conversations wouldn't crop up very much. Just in case that is a bit murky, ask yourself how you'd feel if you couldn't hunt your own state, country, town every year since your tag was allocated to someone else. I know CO has OTC tags and we are unique in that regards. However, guys in MT, WY, UT, NM, AZ and such run into that issue a ton. Granted a few have general tags but you are often times forced to hunt somewhere you don't normally do.

    Personally I feel they could open the flood gates to NR's provided that the residents are guaranteed the hunts of their choice. Trophy Units notwithstanding.

    BTW, Ric and Old Hunter,

    IF you guys ever meet up in the Fort, let me know. I wouldn't mind joining into the meet up if possible.
    Is the hunting any good on your property? If it is. You should be able to get a voucher, and use it yourself. I believe you get 1 voucher for every 160 acres.

  5. #65
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ponderay, ID
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Even if game is on federal land, letting them choose the price of tags...scary thought..
    Whats the advantage of living in a norther state if you have to pay the price of a non-res, but why should non-res have to pay 43x that is steep.
    My vote C.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North-Central Illinois
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Tough call. I get the point that you don't want non-residients overrunning your local hunting areas. As an Illinois resident, we attract a large number of NR's, and gouge the heck out of them to be able to hunt whitetails here. But then I think, we're all Americans. Why is it that someone from Chicago, who has no real ties to the area I hunt, be able to hunt it for less than $40, but someone from Milwaukee, who's just across an artificial border, has to spend over $400. Why does state residency trump Amercian citizenship? If a state wants to insure locals have adequate access, it can do it by controlling permit numbers rather than gouging NR's.

  7. #67
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm new to forum and really liked all the comments and points of view. One has to ask what you get for your $ when plunking down serious amounts for a nr tag. Here in Colorado you get 17 to 18% success ratio on bulls, you get to fight crowds you get an outfitters camp on practically every drainage and many other fun things to contend with. For similar tag fees you can have a much better hunt in other states. I put in for wyo and utah (much better everything) and for the life of me can't understand why so many nr's put up with the poor hunting experiences here in colo. Yes you get ripped-off everytime you buy a nr tag here but it doesn't stop you does it? CPW did a "Willingness to Pay" study several years ago. This study provided valuable data on just how much a nr will or will not pay. There is your science behind colo's recent fee increase. There really never will be any correlation between res and nr fees the way I see it. The fees you pay are high because you are willing to pay it mine are low to keep me and other res's from full scale rioting!

  8. #68
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Is the hunting any good on your property? If it is. You should be able to get a voucher, and use it yourself. I believe you get 1 voucher for every 160 acres.
    I do not personally own any land as of yet. I hope I didn't give that impression.

    For a long time I helped out other members of the RMEF that I knew. Nowadays there is a small group of folks who kind of watch out for each other and one of them is a guy I used to work for. He owns 160 acres but doesn't hunt.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Buena Vista, Co.
    Posts
    1,137
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
    Sorry Wapiti. I meant to quote xtreme.

  10. #70
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Sorry Wapiti. I meant to quote xtreme.
    No worries.

    I think you are on a good thought though. If he owns enough property he can get that voucher!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Trespass Fees for North East Wyoming
    By jlmoeller in forum Antelope
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 05:12 AM
  3. Scent Control
    By nvarcher in forum Everything Backcountry
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
  4. AZ tag fees upfront?
    By NDHunter in forum Arizona
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM
  5. Let's Poll It! Non-resident fees
    By HuskyMusky in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 05:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •