Recently this question came up in another forum (and I think in another thread on this forum, but if not - sorry for the cross-posting).

Full disclaimer before I answer: I am Chris Roe’s wife and business partner. I never post on these forums because frankly it is not in my job description. Chris has taken the lead in trying to help fellow hunters on these forums, leaving me to tend to the other aspects of our businesses (as well as allowing me time to pursue my law degree, which thankfully is almost done), and has much more expertise in these matters than I do. That being said, I wanted to step in and help address this question as I am perhaps more qualified to answer.

I too am a Certified Wildlife Biologist (we both have held this title for many years) and was just this fall appointed to sit on the Certification Committee that reviews applications for Associate and Certified Wildlife Biologists for The Wildlife Society (http://wildlife.org). I can say with great pride that the title of Certified Wildlife Biologist is an honor and a title held by a relatively small number of elite folks.

The standard for certification is quite high. In order to be certified, a person not only must have graduated with a natural resources-based degree (with a HEAVY wildlife biology/management focus), that person must demonstrate a wide breadth of knowledge in wildlife biology, wildlife management, habitat analysis, biology, botany, policy and administration, etc. People seeking certification also have to have performed as a wildlife biologist for > 5 years at the professional level before certification is even offered. "[Basic] technician-level work, such as data collection, surveys, and habitat manipulation conducted under existing protocol or under the specific direction of another, is not considered professional-level experience."

So, hopefully that helps clarify...