Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Backpacking Tripod

I am in the market for a tripod to use with my Swaro 65mm spotting scope and binoculars to use while backpack hunting. Two tripods I have been looking at are the Slik Sprint Pro II, and the Velbon Geo E440 Carbon Fiber and was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these in a similar setup. I will have a Jim White Tripod head on whichever tripod I end up getting. I am not completely sold on either one of these and would like to hear of any other tripods that you guys would recommend. I would like to try and keep it <$200 and prefer to keep it <2 Pounds. Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    check out the vortex highcountry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dixie call and talked to Jeff at Adventure Outfitters. He is great and has been mentioned in the Eastmans mag many times when people have questions about tripods. I bought a 65mm Swaro and tripod from him last fall. He told me I cheap tripod will your hamper the viewing quality of your swaro. He also stated the tripod should weigh about the same as the scope. This is the one I bought Vanguard Alta 225CT w/Bogen Fluid Head.

http://www.adventureoutfittersinc.com/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie07 View Post
    I am in the market for a tripod to use with my Swaro 65mm spotting scope and binoculars to use while backpack hunting. Two tripods I have been looking at are the Slik Sprint Pro II, and the Velbon Geo E440 Carbon Fiber and was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these in a similar setup. I will have a Jim White Tripod head on whichever tripod I end up getting. I am not completely sold on either one of these and would like to hear of any other tripods that you guys would recommend. I would like to try and keep it <$200 and prefer to keep it <2 Pounds. Thanks for the input.
    I think you will LOVE the Slik Tripod line.... I have the Sprint Pro SBH 100DQ. A couple years old so they may have a newer model. I was skeptical because of the price being so low, but it hasn't let me down. There is a balance of weight and stability. And you have to choose and be willing to accept, the lighter you go the more bouncy it is going to be. But it does save your back.

I don't really agree with the 1 to 1 ratio but it is something to consider. I think on my backpack hunts, my tripod is about a third of my scope and I just accept what it is to save the weight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the promaster t525p and it is a rock solid tripod. I found it on sale and am very happy with it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can go with a lite weight tripod if it has a center hook. I use the vortex high country and carry a piece of bungee cord with me. when I get all set up, I bungee a rock and let it dangle to hold the tripod firm. this gives a very solid set up and the vortex has a ball lock head which is very smooth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 8750 View Post
    You can go with a lite weight tripod if it has a center hook. I use the vortex high country and carry a piece of bungee cord with me. when I get all set up, I bungee a rock and let it dangle to hold the tripod firm. this gives a very solid set up and the vortex has a ball lock head which is very smooth.
    I do the same, but use p-cord instead of a bungee. Makes the tripod perform like a much heavier tripod. Well, I guess it is much heavier, isn't it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some one once said to use a Crown Royal bag. Fill it rocks when you need it, weighs nothing and makes for a much happier camp!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Crown Royal bag, I like the idea of having more than one use for a piece of gear

Thanks
    Congratulations

Packing Tripod

Look at a Gitzo Mountaineer. GT-0531 weighs 1.6lbs, holds 11lbs, is 51" tall, closes up to 20.5", and has a retractable hook for adding the crown royal weight bag!
    The GT-0541 is 1.7lbs, 5 inches taller if it matters, but folds down to 18.5 inches because it is a 4-section leg design. These are the lightest I've found, new price around $375 for 0531, but sometimes you can find a used one.