Thread: Gurus...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gurus...

Just a quick story/thought before I leave you all to enjoy your forum... We've trained horses for years, but when we were first starting out and trying to figure out the best techniques - to make sure we didn't irreparably screw up the horses, but also to make sure we would get killed in the process - we looked to the current "gurus." We first bought nearly everything John Lyons produced including a full set of videos as well as his "Training Manual for Broke and Unbroke Horses." We thought that man walked on water and followed his stuff to the letter - with results. But then we got turned onto Pat Parelli. Generally, he taught the exact same stuff. But, their teaching styles were different and certain things made a little better sense. IMHO, some stuff was better explained by Parelli than Lyons (at least to me) and vice versa. Then we were turned onto Clinton Anderson. Again, nothing much different per se, just a slightly different way of explaining the same basic fundamentals. However, we really gravitated to Clinton Anderson because of the way he taught and the way we were learning the material - it just made the most sense when he explained it.

My point: I believe that every person learns a little bit differently and every teacher teaches a little bit differently. Just because you think you have found your guru, regardless the discipline (horse training, hunting, etc.), doesn't mean another person cannot also teach you something. This is particularly the case in a discipline where the fundamentals have been established for decades. Most everything - whether horse training or hunting - is NOT a new theory (although that sounds great for marketing purposes), but is just a regurgitation of old principles in hopefully a clearer, more informative way. My advise? Keep your options, and your mind, open. You never know what will finally click for you and if you've foreclosed the possibilities, you never will.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Very well put. I have become a much better hunter and fisherman from listening to others strategy and tactics when they are in the woods or water. Its always my goal to take a little something from every encounter I have with fellow outdoorsman; Good or bad..lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A very good point, hopefully more folks will read this thread.

I am not sure if this story makes sense but your post reminded me of it.

One time I took my Dad to Alaska fishing, he had a hard time understanding how to set up the bait on the hook so I kept doing it for him and trying to explain how to do it so that he would catch plenty of fish. My Dad had fished his whole life in NM and was set in his ways, he finally told me to quit worrying about the way his bait was and that he would be just fine and catch plenty of fish, I just looked at him and said okay thinking to myself he is not going to catch lots of fish if he doesn't do it the way they told us to. It was a DIY type fishing trip but they told us what to do and how to catch the fish. We ended up having a great trip, regardless of they way he baited his hook.

My dad did not catch many fish after he started baiting his hook like he was bank fishing in NM but he did catch the biggest fish! The highlight of his trip!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Very good to see that there is a place that common sense still is alive and well. Most people are too busy worrying about "what is next" to actually learn from what just happened or are too busy to take the time/have the courtesy to listen to someone else's opinion. "Learn what you can when you can." I say.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    KellyRoe
    Very interesting post. Having more than a passing familiarity with the trainers you mentioned I came to the same conclusion as you. Not in the same sequence as you but the same end result. I have also had experience with people that shall we say weren't in the same caliber as the ones mentioned. I found myself learning almost as much from less qualified "teachers" as I did with the greats. For me, having an open mind works very well as long as there is a healthy dose of common sense with it.
    I have found that just because something doesn't work for you doesn't necessarily mean that it's wrong. I suppose that this was my hardest lesson to accept.
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    KellyRoe,
    Great thread. I feel like when I stop learning from all the magazine articles, books, videos and all the people I talk to about hunting I will either be dead or it is time for me to just stop hunting in general. I always seem to take somthing with me good or bad. There is almost never just ONE WAY to do anything.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Does this mean I have to continue to listen to my wife? I'll be a smart man someday.