Thanks

AZ 27 elk, areas closed until 2013!

I have been waiting for years to apply to AZ unit 27 for bow elk and now that I finally can draw and there are large parts (that I hear have a lot of elk) closed to all activity because of the wallow fire.

I wanted to get the opinion of a few locals as to if I should hold off until 2013. Not only are some good areas closed, and likely will remain closed for elk season, but this also forces that other hunters into smaller areas and makes the remaining open areas more crowded.

I read the emergency closure and the 7 closed areas are not going to reopen until 2013!

This is going to have a huge effect on the hunting (and not in a good way) do you agree?

I wish Eastmans would have mentioned it in their MRS, some guys are goning to draw and find large areas you cannot go at all, and crowds in the remaining areas.

Thanks

Anyone?

Anyone have any info???

Thanks
    I am not from AZ but I say if you have been waiting for years go ahead and wait one more year. The second and third years always seem to be the best after a fire. Good luck!

Thanks
    I am debating that, the bad thing is many are not aware of this and might apply then find out a large chunk of their unit is off limits to even set foot in!
    Last edited by DonV; 02-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    I'm not sure about GMU 27, but Unit 1, just North of 27, is mostly open. The US Forest Service has closed some roads to public access, for "safety", but you can still hike in. There's sure a lot of elk around there, and will no doubt be more in 2013. But don't forget the world will end in Dec. 2012, LOL.
    The Wallow Fire left lots of islands of trees, and was devastating to areas that burned, but the elk moved back in and are doing fine. The Rodeo Fire a few years ago did much the same, and now the undergrowth is prime and the elk and deer populations are booming. 2013 should be a banner year for elk in Units 1 and 27.
    Check out the AZ Game and fish site, AZGFD.gov, and the USFS Apache-Sitgreaves forest web site, sorry I don't have it just now, for most current details.
    Hope that helps.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-