Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurArcher View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you Jen. Starting to train hard for my 100 mile cycling event. I did it last year and placed 11th out of 600 or so, so I'm determined to make a good run at it again this year. I have more work to do to get in shape than I did at this time last year. It's at the end of April. Proper nutrition is definitely one of the most important factors for training... probably second only to mental determination. If you have those two criteria up to snuff, your training itself will fall into place just fine. Like an MMA fight, long distance cycling is an endurance event. To train for this you need to work on cardio... which means you need both CARBS and PROTEIN. Carbs will fuel your workouts, protein will repair your muscles. The tricky part is to not eat too many more carbs than you will be burning! During training I eat a ton of pasta, vegetables, fish/ chicken/ wild game, and protein shakes. Not much else as boring as it sounds... but it's worth it. I honestly think a big mutivitamin every day is beneficial also. If you feel like snacking on junk... JUST DRINK A BUNCH OF WATER. Last year I cut out all the fatty, greasy, junky stuff and I felt soo good. I slept better at night, and I was more alert during the day. My only fault was coffee... I drink at least 3 big cups throughout the day. Something that might keep you motivated is taking a picture of yourself every week in order to see your progress as you go along. It may feel awkward at first (it did for me) but after a few weeks it's pretty cool to see what the body is capable of. Train hard and set your goals high Jen, you will do great! I just started my heavy training and strict diet last week so if you want to share tips as we go along, PM me.
    Are you training for the wildflower? I know that's in April!
    Jen, all good advice here. Eating healthy is hard, it takes mental determination for alot of people. That's a good trick BSA mentioned with water instead of sweets! I like that and am going to use it. Also keep in mind not to cut out sweets and stuff you like completely, it will cause you to binge later on that and ruin alot of hard work. I have 3-4 starbursts a day. Red and orange of course
    Last edited by Drhorsepower; 01-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The P90x system has an excellent diet. You can google it and download the diet for free. Also the South Beach Diet is great for atheletes. Its basically a meat and veggie diet, but you can eat as much as you want as long as its on the list. I have used it for marathon training and for getting fit for rock climbing. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh yeah, Citomax is a great , not too expensive, recovery drink that helps load up your muscles with glycogen for the next workout. Ive used this and it really helps fight off that sore, fatigue feeling from consecutive workouts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 8750 View Post
    Oh yeah, Citomax is a great , not too expensive, recovery drink that helps load up your muscles with glycogen for the next workout. Ive used this and it really helps fight off that sore, fatigue feeling from consecutive workouts.
    Not to take anything away, glycogen is stored in liver. FYI. Citomax is great.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    The Wildflower is actually a triathlon. I'm doing the Sea Otter Classic. I'll tell you what though... that Wildflower event goes through some niiiiice hog and deer hunting country. I know a few folks that live/ hunt down there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Wildflower is actually a triathlon. I'm doing the Sea Otter Classic. I'll tell you what though... that Wildflower event goes through some niiiiice hog and deer hunting country. I know a few folks that live/ hunt down there.
    The wildflower I'm thinking of is out of chico, http://www.chicovelo.org/main/centur.../26-wildflower

I have a lot of friends that go down there for this ride, I keep threatening to do it, There always seems to be something else going on that is more important.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    11th at Sea Otter last year? Very impressive, BSA.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 1 Post
    Bitterroot- Thank you so much again, you definitely helped me out a lot!!

Jon Boy- I train down with Harbour Combat

BigSur- Finishing 11th our of 600 is awesome!! Congrats to you and good luck this year!! I will definitely PM you so we can share tips as we go along.. Maybe a little motivation also.. Haha.

DrHorsepower- Can I have your yellow starbursts? Those are my favorite!! Haha. I am definitely going to have to try the water trick that BigSur mentioned too. I have a very large sweet tooth! I agree on the binging part.. Or maybe it's just because you told me I can still have some sweets that I agree.. lol Thanks for your help!!

8750- I will have to look up the diets. It would definitely be helpful to see what I should and can eat. Thank you so much!

I love you guys Haha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Not to take anything away, glycogen is stored in liver. FYI. Citomax is great.
    Glycogen is made and stored in the liver and is stored in all cells as a reserve to power respiration when glucose levels in the blood drop. If you have ever "bonked" or crashed during exercise it is because the glycogen reserves were depleted. Marathon runners experience this on every marathon (well mortal marathoners anyway) because the body theoretically only has enough glycogen and glucose levels to sustain about 21 miles of effort. After that the body has to start breaking down tissue to power respiration. FYI I am talking about cell respiration, not breathing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lots of good information and positive inspiration here. Best wishes to you jenbickel in Sheridan and you too BigSurArcher in the Sea Otter Classic in Montery! Set your mind to it, keep at it and don't give up and I'm sure you will do great! This thread now has me more inspired to eat and workout better too. Thanks everyone!