Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 196

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Unit 196

Anyones thoughts hows the deer population there early or late season and is there alot of public acces land in the lower elevation to say if you were going to hunt the december hunt dont have to give away honey holes lol just curious

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    There's a lot of public access, that whole hunt is weather dependant. If weather hits right for that short of a season it could be a bomber opportunity, if not it can be a waste of years of points. Ps. It takes a lot of weather to make this hunt great.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    There's a lot of public access, that whole hunt is weather dependant. If weather hits right for that short of a season it could be a bomber opportunity, if not it can be a waste of years of points. Ps. It takes a lot of weather to make this hunt great.
    I agree with Dr. There is very good 200" potential in the area and almost a 100% on a 180" if you put in some time. I've hunted this area for years and have seen many deer in the 180"-190" class. But is there is no snow like this year you'll be lucky to see a 170". Late is the best season to hunt this area again because you want as much snow as possible. There is a lot of deer and this is a winter range area so there is always new deer moving through. Even this year we saw a ton of 160" bucks with no snow and a long rut. These deer live at or just above tree line all summer and there is a ton of thick forest between the winter range and the tree line. This makes it very difficult and inefficient to hunt without the snow. Good luck on the draw. Also FnG keeps talking about canceling the lates season rifle hunt too which will be a real bummer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts

Rut dates??

Hey guys, with the rifle season dates being November 5-30 this year in Unit 194, 196 do you think this is going to help the hunt (due to rut dates) or hurt the hunt (since it is too early for a winter range hunt). I have 20 points as a non-resident and have been holding out for the best of the best in Nevada.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Email sent.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Hey guys, with the rifle season dates being November 5-30 this year in Unit 194, 196 do you think this is going to help the hunt (due to rut dates) or hurt the hunt (since it is too early for a winter range hunt). I have 20 points as a non-resident and have been holding out for the best of the best in Nevada.
    It should help. Same ol song and dance you need the snow! The hunt we did this year the deer were still rutting hard but most deer were in the 160" range. There were som huge bucks taken in the Carson city area but we didn't hunt there. Have you looked into Northern Washoe? It also would be a good choice with that many points

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So far I've been holding out for 241 Late, but this year the hunt no longer runs into November, so I'm thinking about some other options. I think 221 late is a great hunt.

I haven't heard much about Unit 192. Any idea how that unit would be with rut dates?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    221 should be pretty good for deer if u hunt late. Also look at 111 and 222 we saw a lot of 170" deer while elk hunting.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've never hunted 192 but I thought it was a slug gun hunt at one time. Also I think access was bad. I would call a biologist on that one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys for the info. I'm in no hurry to draw, just looking for a hunt that can't be passed up.