Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 1 Post

Colorado 2015 elk

Time to start the process once again. My son has 18pp for elk and we are trying to figure out what to do with them. Are considering unit 40. Anyone have info about Trophy Class outfitters out of Grand Junction.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 6 Posts
    Mike Lawson and his crew does a great job. They kill some decent bulls every year. If it were me living that far away and not being able to come out and scout a very tough unit (due to all the private) with 18 points I would be looking at a guide and outfitter also. There are other G&O services on the Park that have better success on bigger bulls, but cost much more money.

Quinton

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 9 Posts
    Minn Elk Chaser, take Quinton's advice, he knows Unit 40 and 61 VERY well and was super helpful on my Unit 61 hunt this fall. I waffled back and forth between Unit 40 and Unit 61. Unit 40 will be a great hunt if you get the right person to hunt with. I just wanted to go DIY with plenty of public land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 9 Posts
    I just noticed today, on the Huntin Fool forum, that Mike Lawson is guiding their Membership Drive prize for an elk hunt in unit 40.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 12-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We have considered unit 61 but won't be able to draw it for several more years. Would like to hunt it with a muzzleloader like you did Umpqua hunter. Are there other G&O that we should consider? We are open to other ideas also and any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn elk chaser View Post
    We have considered unit 61 but won't be able to draw it for several more years. Would like to hunt it with a muzzleloader like you did Umpqua hunter. Are there other G&O that we should consider? We are open to other ideas also and any help is much appreciated.
    You/ he might be able to draw 61 archery or 1st rifle with 18 points. I personally would rather have the 1st season rifle tag over the muzzy tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Archery is not going to work as he has not been doing that for several years. We thought the rut would be better than the rifle seasons. We would DYI in unit 61 but not sure if that is the right thing for rifle hunt. We have spent 2 weeks over a couple of years in 61 so have some feel for the unit. Would like some help if that is what we decide to do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted with my uncle during the muzzy season in 61 this year. The rut activity and bugling was unbelievable! We were into elk pretty much all day every day. We looked over dozens of decent bulls before he took one. I've never experienced elk hunting so hot in my life! Now here's the kicker... it was on the private ranch he works for. In the last few years I've hunted with others who had cow tags in the 1st season and we've gotten into some good hunting on public land. They were still bugling and there seemed to be a lot of activity. This will undoubtedly change year to year and location to location in the unit. Being able to shoot 3 times or more as far would be tempting to me if I had 18 years invested in waiting for a tag. I don't think you can go wrong either way. You might not catch that muzzy tag for several years though? Your looking at least 2 more years, maybe more if it continues to creep. I personally wouldn't use an outfitter but that's up to you and what you would be happy with. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for your help. He is in no mans land with 18 points. To many to waste but not enough to do what you want.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd draw the first rifle season, have a great hunt and never look back!!!