Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Enclosed Cargo / Hunting Trailer Conversion

My next hunt'n gear project is going to be an enclosed cargo trailer conversion into a hunt'n trailer. It will probaly be a 7 X 14 with enough room to haul a couple of quads end to end along with some othe gear. I have a lot of ideas of how i will put this thing together.

If there's any of you that have modified a cargo trailer into a HUNT'N MACHINE share your ideas or even better post some pics !!!!!!

Thanks

Thanks
    I've seen people with those! They are actually pretty sweet! One person I know had beds that like folded up against the wall so that when they werent in use, they could have extra room. I'm not that creative, I'd throw down a cot and call it good.. or an inflatable mattress. I know, this post did not help you at all.. lol

Thanks
    I thought of doing the same thing. With mine, I'd make it like a truck camper that I could lift on and off the trailer when I just need it for hauling. I like the idea of fold up cots. I'd also have an option to have the back side fold down and strong enough to serve as a ramp for loading ATV's. Just a DIY toy hauler. Would be a fun project and built the way you want it. I'm interested to see what people post.

Thanks
    I have been mulling over the same idea, possibly as long as 20' with an entry door in front too. Would like to have some builtin cabs foe storage of food, cooking stuff & possibly small sink. My idea would be much like a camper with folding bunks too. Only your imagination and BUDGET are needed! The nice thing about it would be a place to store my 2 quads and get them out of my already overstuffed garage.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Yep, I hear ya.

The biggest advantage is the ability to stay somewhat mobile during my hunts. At times it's a real bummer setting up and taking down tents and other stuff for one or two days just to move into another area. Also, your gear / quads will get to where your going CLEAN...not covered in mud or all the backwash from the highways. The other advantage is when you get back from a trip, just unload the things that need to be washed or cleaned up and leave the rest alone......no more completely unloading everything.

I'll probably keep it pretty simple but comfortable...........My imagination is much larger than my budget

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have been mulling over the same idea, possibly as long as 20' with an entry door in front too. Would like to have some builtin cabs foe storage of food, cooking stuff & possibly small sink. My idea would be much like a camper with folding bunks too. Only your imagination and BUDGET are needed! The nice thing about it would be a place to store my 2 quads and get them out of my already overstuffed garage.
    Sounds like you need a toy hauler cc!

Thanks
    Packer,

I built my own "Hunting cabin/toy hauler/camper" last summer" I ordered and customized a black 2011 enclosed trailer with a ramp. I got a 7x14 with a 2 ft. V-nose and made the interior 7ft. tall. Most enclosed trailers are 5.5 to 6 ft tall and that is not big enough. I also got a tandem axle. Single on that size does not ride smooth and sways, plus single axles are not meant for hauling heavy objects. I put in a camper door, 3 windows, I removed the original plywood and insulated the entire trailer that screwed the plywood back in and did knotty pine interior, rustic wood vinyl flooring, 1 tall cabinet, 4 interior dome rv camper lights, bought 1 nice big piece of remnant shag carpet to lay down on the floor during the fall, have two futons that go from being nice couchs to folding into two beds. All we use for heat is a Big little buddy heater that we connect to a large propane tank so you don't have to keep changing bottles every 4 hours. I also baught a heavy duty marine 12V battery that we charge and it will run our lights for an entire week no problem. I have a Polaris Ranger with a cab on it that we use for hunting so when we load it up all we do is stack the beds and everything in the front and load the ranger up the ramp, lock the doors and head out. Best thing I have ever made/thought of. I have roughly 8000 in it for a brand new rig.

I did not want bathrooms or sinks and a bunch of other crap that I didn't need that comes in your Ice castle fish houses or toy haulers. I just wanted it simple, easy to clean, light to tow, and comfortable to sleep in. Its nice to be able to open the ramp and sweep everything out when your done using it each time. There is also absolutely NO WAY mice can get in. I will try and post some pics. You can easily build your own and do it all by yourself after purchasing the basic enclosed trailer, or spend 20-40 grand on much heavier trailers that come with a bunch of stuff you will never use in the backcountry IMO.

Thanks
    Woops, sorry I meant to type I have a 7x16 with a 2 ft V-nose. You will want to go with this size, 7x14 is not big enough once you get everyhting in there. That was the size I originally wanted and thank god I went a little bigger because it would have been wayyy to tight.

Thanks
    Sounds interesting. Lets see some pics BoneCollecter!

Thanks
    Bonecollector86,

That sounds pretty sweet......how's that 16 footer do on the rougher roads, any draging isues........did you go spring over on the axles