Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

looking for rifle and caliber advice

I am planning on buying a new rifle soon and looking for some advice. Just trying to get a consensus on what most people think would be the max weight for a rifle to be comfortable on back country hunts. Also i will probably just use this rifle for anything really from deer to possibly moose one day so advice on calibers would be great. Thank you so much for your advice it is really appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've never hunted anything bigger than elk. But i have dropped elk at 420 yards and seen many a deer fall to my 7mm with 150 grain.
    i want to get another gun just cuz. But the ol 7mm gets the job done

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    The weight of a backcountry rifle is a personal preference thing. Super light rifles are easy to pack, but can be hard to steady, especially when tired at high elevation. My personal backpacking rifle is a 7mm-08 Remington Model 7. However, mine is almost a pound heavier than factory, as I had it rebarrelled with a heavier contour Douglass barrel. Total wieght is right under 8 pounds loaded.

Anything from 7mm-08 to the fast 338s would be great choices for cartridges. The typical all-rounders are the 7mm magnums and 300 magnums (short and long).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I prefer as light as a rifle that I can get my hands on. I find myself grabbing my Tikka T3 (6.5 lbs) more often than the other rifles in my safe. I'm not terribly recoil shy so a light rifle doesn't bother me as much as toting a heavier rifle. If I had a money tree out back I'd buy a Melvin Forbes rifle. I prefer the .300 win mag over anything else I have. IMO, it has the greatest punch for the amount of recoil I want, endless supply of bullets available (construction and weight), easy to find ammo, etc. The browning X-bolt is another light rifle to look at too if weight is a consideration.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know just the gun for you. The Browing Stainless Stalker X-bolt in 7mm and I would have a BOSS on it also. Weight is under 7lbs, a good trigger, just a load of features. The Boss system works. I have an a-bolt with a brake and a CR. With the 9 1/2 twist I shoot 168 Bergers for deer or elk. This gun with the Boss makes me want to try shooting varmits with it.

I dont have a 7mm-08 like Bitteroot but I want one.

Thanks
    Congratulations

I heard about this gun at the 2012 SHOT show, Kimber Mountain Assent. Does anyone know much about this rifle? I can't find it yet on their website. Less then 5 pounds but I'm wondering if the recoil issue will be bad severe due to the light weight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You won't like my opinion... Or at least your wallet won't. But with that exact question... You simply have to have 2 completely different rifles. I shoot a Browning Abolt 25 WSSM for back country hunts and a 7 WSM for larger animals (no moose). It's not too often that you would do a back country moose hunt and even elk... If you do.... You just have to be prepared for some serious weight or hire someone to worry about the weight for you.

So..... One rifle for back country- .243/25 cal, heavily explore the short mags and/or the model 7 to shave weight. Then just go big for elk and moose. 300 plus, maybe even a 338. But again.... just my opinion

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the solution Montana gave, I too shot a short mag. Mine is a Browing A-bolt in 243 WSSM. Both my Browings with BOSS will shoot 1/2 MOA or better. I admit I spent a lot of time getting them to shoot that well, now all I have to do to change bullets is look at my records and shoot light or heavy bullets, I don't know how it get any better.
    Matching bullet weight to twist rate is a factor to consider.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you all for the advice i really do appreciate it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree with bb. My personal choice is a 7mm rem mag in a rem 700 adl.
    I would go with a 7mm or 300 win mag. I like the shorts performance but I don't like mag capacity! I hear they are tough to reload for also. I do not have any experience with that.